Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Hello New Member Tpernal

Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member Tpernal

Comon in and introduce yourself..were waiting for you!

Thanks for joining up with the HAF:

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Hello New Member Tpernal-securedownload.jpg  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Glad to be here!!

I purchased a very slightly used 06 Accord EX last winter.
Had 11,292 miles on it!!! I truly enjoy this ride. I gave my 03 Impala LS to my daughter when I bought the Honda.
Currently in the process of upgrading the sound system. Already got some good advice and looking for suggestions.
I'm not a kid, I'm 56 (last week) and enjoy true audio reproduction. I was a recording and performing musician for years and did some studio guitar work and engineering. I intend to do some sound dampening shortly. I just installed a set of Infinity 3-way 6x9's in the rear deck and have a set of 5.25" Infinity components. I plan on upgrading to #14 speaker wire.
One bit of advice I am looking for...

Keep the factory head unit and get an amp???
Get a new 50W x 4 head unit and skip the amp.
I am really not interested in a 5,000W sub that can be heard at the south Pole.

Thanks, and I look forward to some good advice.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Thanks for coming back in and posting with us..
Join in where you need help or when you wish to
make a statement..make sure you follow all the rules of the forums...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Hello New Member Tpernal-christmass1.gif  
Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Talking You Have Been Moved

I have you here in the stereo section where this post needs to be..make sure you post your questions in the correct forums..t00fat is our stereo manager..he will see this and maybe help you..you can PM him for a faster answer.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Hello New Member Tpernal-christmas-tree-clock-s.jpg  
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by tpernal View Post
Keep the factory head unit and get an amp???
Get a new 50W x 4 head unit and skip the amp.
I am really not interested in a 5,000W sub that can be heard at the south Pole.

Thanks, and I look forward to some good advice.
Either toss the stock HU, or get a cleansweep or similar interface. The stock HU has a built in permanent EQ to try and make the stock speakers sound boomy, so you will never get a truly flat signal from the stock HU. The JL Cleansweep interfaces with the stock HU, and eliminates this EQ effect and produces a truly flat signal. Since you have experience in the music industry I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket HU, with either a built in or add on processor (Alpine being my personal favorite). These processors give you everything from timing corrections, a real equalizer, to a nice crossover network that can be adjusted directly from the HU. You could use a standalone EQ and crossover network with a cleansweep or other aftermarket HU's, but you will lose the ability to adjust it at the HU.

If sound quality is a priority you MUST use an amplifier, especially with components. Amps are cheap enough now a days anyways, what should hurt your wallet is your speaker selection. Although your not looking for exaggerated bass, a small 8" or 10" sub would compliment your system very nicely, and be far from over powering. Although some drivers can reproduce some bass with a authority, a sub will add much more detail to your low end.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Thanks much!!!

After wrangling back and forth, my strongest inclination is to get a Cleansweep and a power amp @ about 4 x 45 rms. I will replace all factory speaker wires with #12AWG. I have an interface for an 8 GIG nano, dedicated to the glovebox already. I can still use my steering wheel controls for all music. With 6cd's in the changer and 8 gigs of aiff files in the iPod, I think this setup is a good compromise from a cost factor/performance standpoint.
Any additional comments are welcome.
Thanks again, tp

Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If your on a tight budget that sounds great. 45 watts is good power, but make sure you get a quality amp. All of the sub par amps are way overrated, and some of the top of the line amps can be a bit underrated. Alpine, Kicker, JL, MTX, Focal, Polk Audio, and a few more are all good choices, and you can't go wrong with any of their amps. I think for now you will be set, but I would recommend adding a crossover network, EQ, and a small sub over time. In the end it will be worthwhile.

Oh and just so you know, aftermarket HUs can be controlled by the steering wheel controls with an interface. But you won't have that 6 cd changer or the stock look, I just personally hate the stock setup. Hope this helps you get started, take care!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Audio interface harness??

It would seem I am getting a Cleansweep and already scored a JL A3400 on eBay for $100. Where can I purchase a harness to jack my Accord's OEM head unit into the cleansweep so I can remove the Cleansweep when I change vehicles?
Thanks tp
Hello New Member Tpernal-tpzid.jpg