Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help! Need help with my Amp.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Default Help! Need help with my Amp.

So I have had my system in my car for about like a week or so now and I was driving today and all of a sudden it stopped working. I have no punch from my sub. I pull over and check it out. The indicator light is still green but the sub isnt producing sound. The amp was REALLY hot. I dont know what to do any help would be appreciated. I have let it cool down and it still wont work. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Check all your fuses... Under your hood and on your amp... Same thing happened to me once and it was the fuse under my hood. Make sure you have high enough rated fuses to push your system...

Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Make sure that the fuse under the hood does not exceed the total number of amps for the fuses on the amp.

For example, if your amp has 2x 40A fuses or 4x 20A fuses, don't use a fuse over 80A in the engine bay.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:46 PM

If the status is showing green, then I doubt any fuses are blown. I don't think the amp would go into ready mode with just the remote on power. I could be over looking something here, but more than likely there is something wrong with the sub or wiring. Pull the sub out and make sure the wire didn't get shaken loose, then check the resistance of each coil. Anything much less or more than the rated impedance means your voice coil is fired. Also make sure your not running a load lower than what your amp can handle this will produce excessive heat and clipping. The heat can kill the amp, and the clipping can kill the sub.

You could also try running a speaker or another sub of the amp to see if there is any output. If using a speaker be sure to set the gains down low and the bass boost off, and turn the volume up only as little as possible. If you don't have an extra speaker you could just check for voltage at the speaker terminals. Since the amp is going into ready mode and doesn't smell of smoke, I don't think there is anything wrong with the amp itself, although it is possible you overheated a component and it just burnt out without shorting anything.

Going to need a bit more info though, how many subs are you running and what is their impedance rating. What amp are you running?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM

I have a 12'' rocksford fosgate punch stage 2 with a 700 watt profile baja amp. The fuses are fine. I probably fried something. God *DANG* it. I guess I better start saving up for what I really wanted anyway. 12'' fi btl with Diablo 2500 watt amp. I will check my sub more later I am headed to a bachelor party now. Peace.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 PM

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be condescending or anything but if you can't think to check the impedance of your sub in a situation like this. I think you should stay away from the competition gear for a bit. Those subs can get very loud, but they are not necessarily the best sounding, actually their not. And with that setup you would have to do a complete upgrade of your electrical system. Just in case you didn't already know.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:36 AM

I didnt know that. Thanks for the help. What is some other sub I can get? I heard Diamond is pretty good.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:16 PM

I've only heard one diamond audio sub, it was a 12" and not sure which one, and was four years ago though I think. It was pretty loud, but I don't remember being impressed by the SQ, not that it didn't sound good or bad just nothing that left an impression on me. If your goal is really only to be the loudest guy on the block, then something along those lines is right up your alley. If you actually want to improve your sound, and it sounds like you've got a big budget, I would go for a JL W7. There really isn't a sub on the market that can match a W7.

But do know loud show off bass requires a lot of power. To do what you see the guys at competitions and those youtube videos your going to need at least 1500w just in bass. Much more than 1000w and your really need to start looking into upgrading your electrical system, wiring and alternator. Although any sized system will like upgraded wires.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Smile

Good post here t00fatt, see your always giving out good information...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
Much more than 1000w and your really need to start looking into upgrading your electrical system, wiring and alternator.

I have to disagree here. You do not have to upgrade the alternator if you are running anywhere near 1000watts. You do need to run heavy gauge power and ground wires for the amps and I would suggest either

1. Two or more batteries.

or

2. One very good battery designed for audio systems. Like a Stinger.

In case you don't know I have THE Kicker Element. It was used by Kicker to showcase their SX amp line at sema.

I have 8 amps pushing 4500 watts. I am running a stock alternator with two Stinger batteries. They are the spv35 batteries. I don't have any problems running full volume at idle and in fact I can play my stereo for quite a while with the car off. Spend more in batteries and don't worry about your alternator unless you are going with INSANE wattage.

I hope this helps.

BigT

P.S. Don't waste your money or time on caps.

Quick Reply: Help! Need help with my Amp.