Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help with new radio on 92 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Default Help with new radio on 92 Accord

So I got a new radio for my 92 Accord. Was able to remove the old one. Got a new wire harness for the Accord. Tied all cables by matching colors (the only cable not in my new radio was automatic antenna). Nothing works. No power no lights on the radio. Disassemble everything and put it back together, nothing. Came to the conclusion the radio was bad. Went to the store and changed it for another one (same model). Same story. No luck with the new one either. Tried the stock radio to rule out any electric defect. It worked fine. All fuses (on car and new radio) are good.

I know I won't get sound without the antenna, but at least it should start.
The radio is JVC kd-s23j, which has crappy instructions.

I am technically challenged, your help is appreciated.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Help with new radio on 92 Accord

My guess would be that the did some funky wire coloration with the stereo wires. I've run into that problem before of the power wire being the wrong color. Also, on a number of aftermarket decks there is a fuse in the back of them, make sure that fuse is A)Present and B) Intact. You know there is power to the harness if your old deck still works so it's either a bad crimp/connection a bad fuse or improper wiring.... Did the deck include a wiring diagram? What color wire is the 12V constant on your deck and what color wire did you connect it to on your car?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I checked the fuse on the new radio and it was ok. I even replaced it with a new one, just in case. But didn't work.
The wiring harness does have a wiring diagram which I followed. All the colors matched. The only two remaining wires on the radio were one for the stereo light (which i am sure i dont need) and one for the power antenna (which I will have to deal with later).
The 12V wire I believe is the yellow one.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 AM

hey i have a 91 accord.. and i had to go buy a wiring kit from circut city.. that cost me like 60 bucks..
but it did the job..it conects to your existing harness and then to your new stero.. its worth..

but you know what.. after having it working fine for two years .. now my amp stop working..and i cant get it fixed.. it started like six months ago..the amp would turn off ..then on.. i would bang my deck..and it would come back on..lol.. but later found out it was the damm orginal wiring harness or connector that was going bad..

so it may be that.. maybe one of the cables in the orginal connect is bad.. it doesnt effect your stock radio but it will the aftermarket....... yeah so now im screwed also.. i have to go over the whole thing again and bypass the orginal.. harness one by one..lol..

but that kit should help you out..

Old 02-22-2007, 12:30 AM

The yellow wire is for a constant power source. This is the wire that powerd the CD player.

The red wire is for a power source that comes on with the ignition. This wire is only for turning the unit on.

If you cant figure it out, the 2 easy ways would be: go buy a test light for $2 at Autozone and test the OEM wires to see which one haspower constantly and which one has power only with the ignition or you can run the JVC's yellow wire straight to the battery and then run the JVC's red wie to a power source that comes on with the ignition. This way there will be no doubt.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 PM

dude just save some money and buy one of those adapter kits..its the best way to go..

but like i said the honda wires go bad..or the honda plug goes bad..becuz of design..

just attatch to each cable till you find where it will work.. one by one..lol..if you want to save a few bucks..

but then your going to spend 15 or 20 on fuses..lol..

Old 03-20-2007, 04:37 AM
dyeguy
Unregistered

how did u remove the old one? please help

Old 03-20-2007, 05:51 AM

Did you check the fuse in the car? if you happened to touch the power & ground you could have blown that one.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:32 PM
karlneff
Unregistered

I got a perfectly good wiring adapter from Wal-Mart for $7.65 - works fine.
That yellow wire is for the memory for the radio & clock - many stereos won't work at all without that wire hooked up to a constantly-on power supply

Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 PM

another way to go is to ditch da wire harness and run your wires according to this: http://www.installdr.com/QuickWiring.html