Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

High-level input causing sub to not sound right??

Old 06-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Default High-level input causing sub to not sound right??

I have a 2005 (7th generation, i assume) Honda Accord LX manual transmission. I am in the process of wiring up an amp and sub into the factory system. The amp i have is the JBL GX-A3001 (JBL GX-A3001 (gxa3001) 415W Monoblock GX Series Class D Amplifier) and the sub i have is the Infinity Reference 1062W (Infinity Reference 1062W 10" Dual 4 ohm 1100W Subwoofer). I have the amplifiers power wire going through the firewall straight to the battery (fused in-line), ground wire being ground to the body in the trunk (removed paint so it’s grounded on bare metal), and remote lead wired to the cig lighter in in front of the gear shifter. All of that seems to be correct and working - amp powers on / off with the car just fine.

So, currently i have the high-level input on the amp being fed straight from the rear deck speakers. I am thinking this isn’t the best way to do it because i am hardly getting any bass at all. The sub is working, but the bass is virtually non-existent. Every once in a while in a song i’ll hear some good bass on a note here and there, but not consistently like you’d expect for a sub. Now, if i play a bass test track that cycles through frequencies the bass is continuous, though not as loud as it should be - so i don’t think there’s any loose connection or that it is just cutting in and out. I also get more sound out of the sub the higher i turn the LP filter up. I’ve read on a couple forums that the signal being sent to the rear speakers on the stock system rolls off some of the bass but not sure if it’s true or what the signal actually is being sent to the rear speakers.

My questions are:
1) instead of the high-level input on the amp, should i be using a line out convertor from the rear speakers to the RCA input on the amp?
2) should i even be using the rear speakers as the signal source to begin with?
3) Is there any other reason why the sub is sounding this way?

Thanks for any help with this!!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 AM

FIXED: Found my problem was that i needed a line out converter. I installed an LOC by tapping into the stereo wiring harness and all is well now.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

great. thank's for following up. sorry for the delay, i've been traveling.

i suspect it wasn't the need for a LOC but you had the speaker wire polarity mixed up and bass was cancelling.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:36 AM

No worries! Yea, the polarity could've been an issue as well. Either way, the LOC was probably gets me a little better sound quality. Had some nice bonuses too, like a remote turn-on lead so i didn't have to use the cig lighter and could turn the amp on/off with my radio. And a amp remote volume control that i mounted up front. Definitely glad i have that now so what i listen to ESPN radio or any other talk radio i don't have to get back to the trunk to turn the amp down.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

yes, getting an auto turn-on and remote level makes the LOC totally worth it.