Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Hooking Up Subwoofers to My Rear Speakers Using an Line Output Converter

Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Default Hooking Up Subwoofers to My Rear Speakers Using an Line Output Converter

I have an '04 Honda Accord V6 EX Coupe. I also am trying to hook up my two 12 inch subwoofers to my factory head unit. I bought the PAC SNI-15 Line Output Converter which the guy at the store told me to hook them up to my rear speakers. I have no clue how to hook the wires on the converter into my rear speakers. Do I disconnect the speakers all together and cut the wires and attach them to the wires on the converter. If someone could help me I would really appreciate it. Also do I need to do anything with the blue control wire or do I even need it? Please HELP!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Moved your post to the audio/video forum, so you would have a better chance at getting help.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

you need to solder wires to the factory wiring and and solder or crimp them to the LOC input wires. you can just solder wires onto the factory speaker terminals, or strip back the wire insulation (without cutting it) and tap the wires there. usually, they are routed together on one side of the car, so intercepting them there keeps wires short. then just screw the LOC to the rear deck.

yes you need the blue wire - it is an amp turn on wire that is connected to the REMOTE terminal on the amp. that blue wire is an auto-sense output that will turn the sub amp on when it sees a signal in the speaker wires.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 AM

where do i hook the blue cable in and do you have any photos or know of any other site that has photos on how to tap into rear speakers wires?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

the blue wire is an output that goes to the amp called the "remote turn-on". the blue wire does not connect to the factory wiring or speakers. the amp owner's manual will show you where you connect the blue wire (you will need to extend this with a wire to reach the amp).

you can buy wire taps that crimp on, 3M makes some, but i don't like how they can damage wire, especially speaker wire.

to tap wires correctly you use a soldering iron. if you've never used a soldering iron before, you have some learning ahead. heat shrink or wrap soldered wires with electrical tape for protection.

some videos:
first one is how to tap a wire that has been cut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7QODsYy63c

other videos
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ker+wires&aq=f

Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM

hey i read somewhere you can use your "ignition" power wire as a remote turn on too...is that safe to do? jw i use the blue remote wire but if on maybe an old stereo that didn't have it i was wondering if that was ok to do.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

the ignition or switched 12V wire can be used for a turn-on, so at least the amp will turn off with the key.

this causes issues for a few reasons though.

you NEVER want the amp on while the stereo is off. so with ignition switched amps you don't want to turn off the factory radio, ever.

another issue is that if the amp turns on before or turns off after the factory radio, it can cause damaging pops and thumps through the system.

when using ignition (and only use ignition if you have exhausted factory turn-on options) you should install a lit toggle switch in the dash. then manually turn the amp off first and on last - every time you get out or in your car.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

the care should have an accessory fuse. that is what mine is hooked to. turns off when the key is off and on when the key is on. to avoid the popping that was talked about above a lot of amps have a soft on where when they get power they dont imediately send it to the subs. just buy an amp that has that feature.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by neophyte
the care should have an accessory fuse. that is what mine is hooked to. turns off when the key is off and on when the key is on. to avoid the popping that was talked about above a lot of amps have a soft on where when they get power they dont imediately send it to the subs. just buy an amp that has that feature.
As long as you never turn off your radio that can work.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

are you talking about it wont pop or why wouldnt it work? my stock stereo in my honda has a soft on too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hooking Up Subwoofers to My Rear Speakers Using an Line Output Converter