Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Horrible Rear Speaker Distortion

Old 03-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sounds to me like your amp is too big or your gains are too high and it's clipping. Those speakers are blown, especially if setting the HP high doesn't help. The amp pushed them too hard and damaged the suspension, so that makes me think the amp is too big. Clipping usually burns the coil, but I would imagine is can damage the suspension as well.I'm sorry I'm not experienced at all with debugging an audio system as I've never pushed my system too hard, and install everything my self.

As for the fronts, if your crossover has an attenuator set the tweeters to -3dB. I'm not familiar with a cleansweep, but I don't believe it has an adjustable EQ like a processor.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM

How high was your gain set? If it was anywhere near the half way point, it was too high.

If you take your speakers out of the back deck and just lay them in the seat, do they still have the distortion?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM

No that amp is not too big for those speakers. That amp if rated accurately will give you 100w on a 2ohm load. And yes if the gain was high enough he could have blown the speakers in 5 seconds. What do you mean you bought all three in the same day? Two pairs blew within a day? (Isn't that what a warranty is for?)If so then there is no doubt your gains are too high either on the amps, the LOCs, or both.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Are you using more than one LOC? If your only using one try swapping the inputs around at the LOC. If two try swapping the LOCs around. It could be a bad LOC, but I doubt it. Check the gains on the LOC and the amp, they should only be about an 8th of turn on the LOC, and about 1/8th of turn on the amp gains. Any more than a quater is too much, more than hal is WAY too much.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 PM

If I had to guess I would guess it's the LOC distorting your signal. Or it could be the amp that is causing the distortion. If it's not the amp the cleansweep prolly will fix this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horrible Rear Speaker Distortion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.