Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Horrible Rear Speaker Distortion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ok well do you do realize that if the clean sweep fixes this problem that means it's the LOCs your using cuasing the problem? Many people have ran LOCs off the stock headunit without this problem. While the quality is not as good as a cleansweep, they weren't destroying their speakers. I said it before and I'll say it agian, try swaping out the LOCs. If the cleansweep will fix it, then new LOCs will too.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Default I am a speaker tech

Your amp isnt too big. these people are right about your gains make sure you dont have them all the way up try putting them where the distortion quits. then lower or higher from there till its perfect. on the speaker part you may have the negative and positive wires crossed try and cross them the other way and see if that works. are you using aftermarket radio? if your using one of those converters that connect to the speaker to get RCA then make sure they are in the right spot i reccomend using the rear speakers and make sure its grounded. if u got any more questions message me man good luck

Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 AM

Reversing the polarity will not cause distortion in a speaker.

And your not a speaker tech if you don't even know about phasing.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:25 AM
djg08642
Unregistered
Default Fixed!

After months of fading my stereo to the front speakers, I finally decided to bite the bullet and take it to a professional.

Here's a list of all the problems they found:
1) The LOCs were crap. If you have no choice but to have your system installed at Best Buy, get some good line output converters elsewhere.

2) One of the channels on the amp was fried

3) One of the RCA inputs on the amp was bent. The installers recommended a cover that can be found at a boat supply store. The amp is under the passenger seat so someone must've accidentally kicked/stepped on the wires.

4) Although the RCAs were Rockford, dual-twist, extra shielded blah blah blah, they were still running next to the power wire and picking up noise.

5) The factory speaker wire isn't constructed to put out high quality audio.

6) One of the front tweeters was smoked. (Literally, it smelled awful)

7) Here's the clincher and the MAIN reason my rears sounded like crap... When the Best Buy installer put the passenger seat back in, he accidentally put a bolt THROUGH the RCA.

So essentially, the rear channels were amplifying my passenger seat with a hint of audio

The professional place (shout-out to Alarmtronics in Milwaukee) worked on my car for about 9 hours. I got them a replacement amp, they re-wired it, replaced the RCAs, put in a new line level converter, hooked up a ground loop isolator and tuned the amp for 200 bucks. Not a bad deal at all.

All in all, I'm very pleased. The mids and highs sound great. I intend on getting a 10" Type-R with the Alpine M500 amp to power it. Should sound great.

Lesson learned: You get what you pay for. Discounts on products are great. Inexpensive installation isn't worth it. Have it done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 AM

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed, I knew you would. That's one of the worst install jobs I've heard of. If he put a bolt through an RCA. It seems you had even more problems then anyone could have imagined.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Dang, you should have reported that to BB and demanded your $ back.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM

May even have a small claims court case on your hands there.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
Reversing the polarity will not cause distortion in a speaker.

And your not a speaker tech if you don't even know about phasing.
i do know aboiut phasing dude i told u before ibve= worked as a speaker instakller at best buy for years im just trying to help but all u do is down me man i aint trying to make enimeies just friends and give my opinions.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Then explain to me why you want the front speakers in an accord to be in phase? Even if you know that, I can't give you much credit for knowing that, because you specifically said reversed polarity will cause distortion.....

Notice if you had said I THINK, then there would be no problem. Look at my posts and notice how many "I Think"s, and "I'm not 100% sure but" I drop. It's called effective communication, something you really don't know about. I dropped out of highschool, but seem to have better grammar skills than you.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Okay, so while we're on phasing. I have my subs firing towards the rear of the car, and my deck has the sub phasing at 180* (sub picture turns to fire towards the rear) instead of the regular 0*, why does it not sound different?

Quick Reply: Horrible Rear Speaker Distortion