Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

how to remove panel under steering wheel - and good/bad re: fm modulator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default how to remove panel under steering wheel - and good/bad re: fm modulator?

I've got a 2007 Accord VP with the stock single cd stereo. I need to remve the panel under the dash to wire up my scangauge mileage computer, but can't figure out how to remove this panel.

Also, I'm looking to add an input for mp3/ etc to my stock stereo. It looks like the hardwired fm modulators are cheap and easy to install, but I also see more expensive options that seem to plug directly into the stereo. Is there a significant sound quality difference between the two types of products? If I'm plugging into the headphone jack on my mp3 player, doesn't that lose alot of sound quality also?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

if your factory head unit has an XM button, then you can add an aux input with no loss in sound quality. FM modulators will result in lower sound quality and noise. some are better than others, and include a switch to activate and selectable frequencies. Clarion FM200 works well.

usually, the panel is held with screws on the door side (Behind a removable fuse panel) and in the middle, covered by the center console trim.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks K.H.A. - my stereo doesn't have an "xm" button, but it does have a "cd/aux" button - the middle of three buttons on the left of the screen. I've seen you mention Pac-audio in other posts, and GROM mentioned as well. They both say their units should work on a 2007 Accord, but they don't specify the "VP" model. I'm hoping my "cd/aux" button will give me the ability to use one of these products.

Thanks for the tips on the fm modulator and the panel removal.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

there are so many Honda radio options in the past 10 years, it's hard to keep up. i need to find a master compatibility chart or something. i can't get my hands on every year/make/model.