Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   HP filter on speaker amp affecting sub amp (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/hp-filter-speaker-amp-affecting-sub-amp-23169/)

t00fatt 02-11-2009 10:22 PM

Yeah I don't think there is a double DIN, or at least there wasn't before. Alpine and Pioneer make my favorite HUs, kenwoods are good too.

mhoffman 02-12-2009 11:25 AM

I am new and I just bought a 2009 accord ex-v6. I had a very reputable stereo shop install 2 separate amps. One for a 10" sub, and a 4 channel to power the 4 interior 6 1/2" speakers that I upgraded. Even with the radio off and the sub amp turned off I get what sounds like a whale mating call. Womp-womp. A very random low tone sounding womp,womp. It isn't quiet either. Does anyone have an idea as to what might be causing it? I just spent a lot on the install and if I can't figure this out then I will have to just remove the amps and the sub.Thanks!

mhoffman 02-12-2009 11:27 AM

Getting awful sound coming from my sound system after I had 2 amps professionally
installed. Sun Valley Stereo in Phoenix,AZ. They have been in business for over 30 years. Sounds like a whale call.

finch13 02-12-2009 11:36 AM

Bring it back to the shop and complain. They should fix it for free.

mhoffman 02-12-2009 11:57 AM

car audio shop

They said the amps may not be compatible with the deck. It sounds
like a cop-out, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any kind
of random low-toned noise coming from their system even with the
radio off and what might be the solution. I read of how some RCS's
might be loose, but I just don't know.

finch13 02-12-2009 12:05 PM

Because it's a low thump, it sounds like the amp isn't shutting down before the radio turns off. I had a similar issue when I had to connect my amps remote wire to the power antenna to signal it to turn on, the amp did not turn off until the antenna went down and I got a thump every time from the subs.

It definitely does sound like a cop out, complain and complain some more, threaten them. Don't let them feed you BS about things not being compatible, 95% of audio equipment works with each other.

mhoffman 02-12-2009 12:24 PM

mic or engine

Thanks for the input. When I picked up my car, the salesman said that since the motor can run on 3,4, or 6 cyl as the need may be, there may be a sound that I might hear. I wonder if that sound is being picked up
somehow. I will let them know that the system still isn't right and see what kind of suggestions they can come up with. I have read about swapping out the whole head unit , but I will hold off for that since I want to retain the factory look and functionality of it.

t00fatt 02-12-2009 12:29 PM

My amps did the same with the stock radio on my 7th gen. Unless you an find a source that turns on and off with the radio, I don't see how you can fix it. Just don't turn your radio off.

EDIT: In my 7thg en when you would turn the radio off you would get a constant deep wooooooooooooooooooo. Is that what is happening to you or something different?

mhoffman 02-13-2009 07:34 AM

my problem

My car audio problem is more sporadic than constant. As a drummer I can also tell that the bump bump noise isn't even on the beat of a song too.
Very random sounds. I will try to leave the radio on and at least see if the thuds are minimized. Thanks.

Moddage 02-13-2009 11:05 AM

@ zachyzissou :

Judging by the looks of it .. by the type of connectors used. and product line.. you had bestbuy install this.. .. am i right?

now.. I THINK i've got your answer..

your 3/4 channel output.. is the one affecting the subs right..

well.. you have a line level converter coming from the stock headunit.. into the speaker amp.. where's the converter for the subs tap into..

Just judging from general TALKING with best buy car audio employees.. they hire people that aren't usually too competent.. and really don't belong installing stuff in people's cars.. and they also assume that EVERY person that comes in there.. has NO clue about anything

so assuming you did have best buy do it.. here's by BEST guess..

Head unit to 4 channel LOC... into the speaker amp... then they bumped their heads and went OH CRAP we still have a third LOC for the subs.. .. oh well i'll just tap it in AFTER the speaker amp.. that will work fine.. just leave the HPF off and he'll NEVER know..

what it sounds like to me.. is an incompetent worker at the install place (like i said i'm pretty sure it's best buy by the looks of it) forgot the sub LOC and when he realized it.. just spliced in after the speaker amp..

this would CERTAINLY have an affect on the sub amp.. because you'd be cutting down the signal to the speaker amp and having the LOC after that would mean it too was also affected..

So.. where exactly does the LOC for the subs tap into ?

EDIT:

I'm almost 100% certain I am right.

http://www.installedge.com/products/images/55412.jpg

THAT is the LOC they used.. the inputs come from the same side as the RCA outs..

Look VERY carefully at this pic

http://gallery.me.com/zachgonser/100...G_2920/web.jpg

Factory Wiring Harness spliced into the LOC for the speaker amp..

Speaker amp outputs spliced back into factory wiring harness to supply music to the speakers..

LOOK where the LOC for the subs is tapped into... it appears to be AFTER the speaker amp outputs that return into the factory harness..

Can you confirm this for us zachy?

If I am right on this one.. and i think i am.. that LOC for the subs needs to be tapped in BEFORE the other LOC.. ;)

~Moddage