Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

HP filter on speaker amp affecting sub amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Default HP filter on speaker amp affecting sub amp

today i was just messing with the settings on my speaker amp and noticed the HP filter wasn't on, so naturally flipped it on and my bass diminished alot from the subs. its not as boomy as it was. i did nothing else, nothing on the RF sub amp. nothing. ANY explanation would work right now. i don't want to damage anything

Old 01-31-2009, 12:32 PM

The HP filter is your HIGH PASS filter. What it does is let frequencies above a certain point pass. So say if your HP was set to 500 Hz then it would allow everything above 500 Hz to be played thru the amp and everything below 500 Hz would be cut off. So when you flipped your HP on, you cut off all the low frequency stuff below the set point which took the energy out of the bass.

Its actually a good thing too. Smaller speakers like 5.25's and 6.5's arent made to play frequencies in the 30-50 Hz range. They can do it but they cant do it very well and it will take away from the midrange sound quality. If your HP is variable, play with the adjustment some. Its probably set on 80 Hz right now so take it down a little and see how it sounds.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah I already went over that with him in another thread. His problem is when he switched his speaker amp from full to HP the sound from the subs changed. And he is running a separate amp for sub and speakers. It made absolutely no sense to me. I think the problem has to do with the LOCs he is using, he is the stock 7 gen HU.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM

anybody have anything?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 PM

How is your system wired? Is your sub amp getting its signal straight from the head unit or are you using the passive outputs of the speaker amp?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM

its coming from the stock headunit to a line out converter for the speakers and what i believe to be a separate lineout converter for the sub. the amps are only connected by a blue wire that says remote above both connections.

edit: sorry to answer your question no the amps are not run through the passive out on the speaker amp

Last edited by zachyzissou; 02-04-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:22 PM

Are you certain that the output from the subs was cut down and it wasnt the overall effect from the sub bass being cut from the speakers? I just dont see an adjustment on one amp could affect in any way the output from a totally separate amps. The high pass filter is between the RCA inputs and speaker outputs in the signal chain. Im no engineer but I dont see how it could be relating back to the sub amp.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 PM

It didn't I think he is just mistaken. There may be loose RCA or something, there is no way that amp affected the other. There is something else going on. I remember him saying it went from bad to good with the change, so if it sounds good I wouldn't worry about it unless the sound changes again without you doing anything.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM

well now that i've tuned the amp i leave the hp filter off. i could swear it affects the amp. the crossover is set very high on the speakers because they are not broken in yet. so theres practically zero bass coming from the speakers. i made sure i was 100% positive it affected the,

Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by zachyzissou
well now that i've tuned the amp i leave the hp filter off. i could swear it affects the amp. the crossover is set very high on the speakers because they are not broken in yet. so theres practically zero bass coming from the speakers. i made sure i was 100% positive it affected the,
Wait so you turned off the HP filter and there is no bass coming from he speaker? Turning off the HP is turning off the crossover.

Quick Reply: HP filter on speaker amp affecting sub amp