Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ignition wires as power source?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Default Ignition wires as power source?

I'm installing a Scosche FM modulator on my dad's 98 accord v6 and on the instruction list for the modulator it says to connect the power wires to the ignition wires. Is there anything wrong with is or would it be ok? If I connected it to the cigarette lighter wires the switch would have to be off when the car is off to to not the the battery right?

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=121&avf=N

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Ignition wires as power source?

Personally, being a developer i have a mindset that there's a quick way to do things, and a right way to do things...

I prefer the right way, and feel that that conneciton would be the quick way..

Having said that, I don't have a solution for you as I have zero experience with car electronics.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM

through ciglighter it would be off the fusebox which is triggered by the ACC but you have to keep in mind that you may pop a fuse if you deside to use the ciglighter with that connected to it

Old 01-18-2008, 05:02 PM

also if you hook it up to the cig lighter, you it will only come on when you turn the park lights on and headlights.....So do which you prefer.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 PM

the "right" way to do it in my opinion is to find an unused fuse location and tap into that.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:15 PM
FlikDaBean
Unregistered

Ignition harness would be a great place. Just be sure to put fuses on them and don't use t-taps (bad connection). The amperage rating for constant wireat the harness is 40-50amps. FM modulator is 5amp at most. ground to something solid. Plenty of metal under the dash. As far as accessory wire, test with a meter. would be 12v with key on and drops out during crank then comes back to 12v. hope this helps

Old 01-20-2008, 02:33 AM

Going all the way to the ignition harness is a waste of time and more trouble than its worth. Same with running this thing all the way to the fuseblock. The current draw for thisunit is less than 2 amps and you will already have the radio out so find the switched power wire(acc wire) that runs the radio and tap into it. You will also want to use the same ground wire as the radio so as to not have a ground loop which will cause noise, although it is an FM modulator, you will have some noise.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 AM

Mainline to the battery with a relay to take a trigger from the ACC power FTW!!!

aka - the RIGHT way to do it.

However, an FM modulator takes almost zero power, so in your case, I'd just hook it up to the acc power that goes into the head unit and extreme velcro the box behind the head unit so it's hidden.

You can ground to almost anything. If the ground is causing noise, do the big 3 upgrade.