Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Improving audio on 2007 Accord SE (4-cyl)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Default Improving audio on 2007 Accord SE (4-cyl)

New to the forum and have a quick question - I've got the in-dash 6-disc changer (120 watts total). All I'm wanting to do at this point is to get some better sounding speakers. I'm guessing that the max wattage for each speakeris 20 watts (20X6). Would I be fine in getting speakers w/ just 40-50 RMS? Also, the sound coming from the tweeters in the dash is kind of annoying. I'd rather disconnect the tweeters (if possible), and just get a couple 2- or 3-way speakers in the door, and then a couple 2- or 3-way speakers in the back.
Questions:
What speakers do you recommend based on the above, and how do I go about disconnecting the tweeters. Do you think disconnecting the tweeters is still necessary if I get 3-ways in the door? Also, what's the best way to get to the speakers in the door? I'd rather not remove the door panel. THanks in advance!!!!

Gus

Old 05-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Default RE: Improving audio on 2007 Accord SE (4-Cly)

The power handling ability isn't as importantas the sensitivity. Speakers with higher sensitivity will sound better with low power. There's a zillion brands that will work. You can start at Crutchfield.com to see what fits your car (from their stock anyway). I believe the tweets are tied into the front speakers but not positive. The only way to install new speakers in the doors is to remove the panels and they will likelyrequireadapters or a little fabricationto work. I suggest two way speakers unless you are going to amplify them.

Here's how mine is set up. I did the speaker replacement a while back and the rest recently. Let me clarify that......I PAID to have it all done, I'm not capable of doing it.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Amp...m_52021/tm.htm

Old 05-06-2007, 03:18 AM
Default RE: Improving audio on 2007 Accord SE (4-cyl)

ORIGINAL: gusturner

New to the forum and have a quick question - I've got the in-dash 6-disc changer (120 watts total). All I'm wanting to do at this point is to get some better sounding speakers. I'm guessing that the max wattage for each speakeris 20 watts (20X6).
Max is right. The stock head unit is making about 7 watts RMS. Youd get 20x6 maybe if it were struck by lightning.

Would I be fine in getting speakers w/ just 40-50 RMS?
Any speaker will work, regardless of the power handling. Get the best set you can afford. Speakers are the most important part of your audio systyem as they define how it will sound more so than any other component. You have 6.5's in there right now but youre not going to get another 6.5 in there without some cutting. However a 5.25 will fit just fine with a 1/2" spacer.

Also, the sound coming from the tweeters in the dash is kind of annoying. I'd rather disconnect the tweeters (if possible), and just get a couple 2- or 3-way speakers in the door, and then a couple 2- or 3-way speakers in the back.
The tweeters are tied inwith the front door speakers and theyre easy to disconnect. The tweetercover panels are just held in place with 4poppers. You can pry it up and off. But BE CAREFUL! The brackets for the poppers tend to fall off if you tug too hard and if they fall down intothe dash, its a real beeyotch to get them out! Once out, you can just unhook them but youll lose your high end response.

Questions:
What speakers do you recommend based on the above
Im a Polk Audio fan myself. These would be the best sounding -> http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc525/

And these would be more for a budget. -> http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/db521/

Do you think disconnecting the tweeters is still necessary if I get 3-ways in the door?
The tweeters are in the dash for one reason only - to pull the soundstage up so it doesnt sound like everything is coming from the floor. If youre really picky about your music and want the best stage, you should get a component set of speakers and mount the new tweeters up there. But if youre just wanting some tunes to listen to on the drive to work and arent going to sweat the details then a set of coaxials in the doors will work fine.

Also, what's the best way to get to the speakers in the door? I'd rather not remove the door panel.
You could always cut a hole in the door panel. Otherwise youre going to have to pull it off. Its kinda a PITA but its not rocket surgery. Pop off the mirror sail panel then pop out the panel inside the door handle and inside the arm rest. Then pop out the arm rest panel and disconnect the wiring harness. Next pop the panel from the bottom and then up. Pull the panel up out of the window ridge and unhook the door handle and be gentle.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 AM

Thanks for your tips above. I ended up going w/ Boston Acoustics S65 2-ways in the door. I let an installer put them in for me, & he ended up having to add a spacer so that the back of the speakers wouldn’t get in the way of the window when it rolls down.
After listening to them for a few days, it was far too ‘bright’ in the front, now having 4 tweeters. So, yesterday morning I disconnected the tweeters in the dash (which took all of 2 minutes), and the sound is great. Sure, it could be better w/ a small amp, but I can definitely live without that. The rear 6X9 factory speakers are actually pretty decent and provide a surprisingly satisfactory amount of bass, all things considered. And since I do most of my driving from the front seat, I think I can live for quite some time without upgrading the rear speakers.

Again, thanks for taking your time to offer your tips to the newbie!

Take care…

Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 AM
UncleJ
Unregistered

Not to hijack this thread, but I wanted to add soomething about the rear deck speakers, based on my recent experience.
Just added Boss Blade Extreme BLX69 to the back of the 2007 VP. Specs: 6x9, 3 way, 95 db 1w@1m. Had to trim the underside of the grill to fit the much thicker speaker flange. Immediately, the front door speakers sound inadequate, so I'm looking at the Infinity 6012i/6022i series. Their mounting depth looks to be a good half inch LESS than the above mentioned Boston Acoustics S65 drivers. Also, Crutchfield will provide adapters free.
All of your comments above have been helpful.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

When I installed my speakers in my 06 I came across something I never saw mentioned here on the forums. The stock front speakers are 6.5" BUT the hole in the door is not big enough for a regular 6.5" speaker to fit. So to get aftermarket speakers in there your going to have to cut metal, so I hope you know how to use a jig saw. Also the depth is exactly 2", so any speaker you get deeper then 2" your going to need a spacer. You can fit a 2" maybe 2 1/5" spacer if necessary, I have my JLs with a 1/4" spacer and there is about 2" to 3" of space between the front of speaker and the door panel.

So if your not comfortable using a jig saw, then maybe you have your speakers installed by someone. Just what ever you do don't mount the speaker in your door panel. I have seen that done, the resonance of plastic is defiantly in the range of the speaker so expect some serious rattling. Don't spend money on quality speakers to mount them incorrectly, you will severely degrade the sound quality.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
UncleJ
Unregistered

Thanks for the information.
So I'm guessing5¼"speakerswould be a better starting point?