Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing 12 inch subs. Could use advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Default Installing 12 inch subs. Could use advice please

I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX 4dr
I got dual Renegade 12s 800w rms 1200w peak (ported) for $40 used from a guy, in great condition practically brand new, except the positive terminal snapped, which I can easily replace.

Anyway, I don't think my stock Head Unit has RCA outputs in the back, which means I'd either need a converter or an aftermarket Unit/faceplate. I'm heading towards the faceplate and head unit, but I'm unsure which I should get. Could anybody link me to some good choices?

This is my first time installing this, so I would appreciate any feedback and advice. Also, I'm thinking of removing the panel between the back window and the back seats (the part that currently houses 2 back speakers and a break light) so that my subs blow directly into the cab. Is this possible? I think It'd also make my car more convenient since it'd be more hatch-back style.

And then another question for the more professional group here, would this amp and installation kit be compatible and a good choice in the long run?
Amazon.com: Planet Audio AC2000.2 MOSFET Two-Channel Power Amplifier, 1000 Watts x 2 Max Power: Electronics Amazon.com: Planet Audio AC2000.2 MOSFET Two-Channel Power Amplifier, 1000 Watts x 2 Max Power: Electronics
Amazon.com: Quantum Audio 0 AWG Gauge Amplifier Car Installation Wiring Amp Kit: Electronics Amazon.com: Quantum Audio 0 AWG Gauge Amplifier Car Installation Wiring Amp Kit: Electronics

Pic of my head unit
Name:  9pL9Q.png
Views: 106
Size:  569.3 KB

Pic of my subs
Name:  vzfEz.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  106.8 KB

Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM

This dash kit will let you slap a single DIN CD player in the lower storage cubby area. This will be a better option as the kits that replace your AC controls is cheap and doesnt last long. Which CD player is a matter of personal preference. Shop around and get the one that you can afford with the features you like. As long as you buy a name brand like Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood, youll be fine.

For wiring kits, itll depend on how big the amps are youll be using. If youre using smaller amps you dont need 1/0 gauge wire. I recommend KnuKonceptz for wiring. Its as good as anything on the market but half the price cause they make it themselves. Its all I use for power, ground and speaker wires.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks MacLoad.

I agree a new head unit is your best bet. If you decide to get a LOC, I recommend this one:
N-RHL2 - BEST LOC IN THE WORLD!! - $24.95 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

here are some instructions for a replacement dash kit:
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...9-7864_web.pdf

and instructions for the lower pocket kit:
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NST99-7862.pdf

you can't just remove the rear panel cover, below that is sheet metal. you can remove the rear speakers to let more bass through - it works well. the rear woofers are just for lows anyway (no tweeters). any speaker upgrades should be to the front 6.5" components.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM

Thanks so much for these replies. I do not want to install the new unit in the glove box but I guess its my only choice as far as money-wise decisions go.

I want to get an Alpine or Kenwood Single Dinn, but it must have the rca outputs for my amp/subs as well as bluetooth connectivity.
Here is what Im looking at:
Amazon Amazon
+
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Pilot Mobbin; 01-25-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Hi. I have the same problem kind of. I have an 04 Accord LX Coupe, and am installing two type R's in my trunk, haven't a clue on what amp to get yet, I work at best buy, so everything I've been looking to buy has been from there (Employee discount ftw) and so far what I've been looking at is
Metra Lower Dash DIN Pocket Installation Kit for Select Honda Accord Vehicles 99-7862 - Best Buy
I have no idea if that will fit mine though, says most 2003 models, from what I've seen there isn't much of a difference, should fit with some help though.
And for a head unit, I'm going with
Pioneer 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple iPodReady InDash CD Deck DEH-X6500BT - Best Buy
It doesn't have the highest RMS, but its decent. I'm looking for something with bluetooth, and a USB port. Those are just my recommendations. (As an employee, I get a 50% discount on install too )

Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

the cubby plate will fit. they say most just in case.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure the Metra 99-7862 you get includes the wire harness.
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NST99-7862.pdf

Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 AM

Ok dude first...Sonicelectronix is the best place to look for amps. I have 2 Type R 12s that are dual 4 ohms in a ported box and they are amazing. as for the amp goes i bought a Hifonics Brutus 1200 watt super class D Monoblock and it is the best amp I have ever had and it was 150 bucks. Definately a great buy. Get a mono block for subs. you wont regret it

Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 AM

And for your audio hookup, if you havent, remove the factory stereo and peek at the back for rear out RCAs. It looks like a nicer stereo but may have security so watch out if you replace it and look for how to remove the security crap on it

Quick Reply: Installing 12 inch subs. Could use advice please