Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Kicker Sub

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Kicker Sub

LOL .... maybe you're right, maybe not. I never made a square sub box, but I was about to before the Accord died ..... I wanted to use it in place of the rear armrest .... the square sub was more about fitment for me. As far as cutting the baffle, for the L5/L7, I'd line up hole saws against the template, punch them out and play connect the dots with the jig. On round sub boxes, I always wind up with a lot of filing and sanding that I wouldn't expect from the square cutout.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM

Lol I'm glad you didn't do that, if I remember correctly it takes about 5ft for a 60hz sound wave to form. That's why when you get close to sub you hear more air and cone movement than bass. 60hz is low bass, higher bass takes less distance to form.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 PM

Here t00fatt, answer me this:

Is it better to have subs facing towards the rear of the car or the front if they're in the trunk?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM

Different people say differently, I say try it out. It does make a difference moving the sub around, I've found having them facing the rear and about 5" away from the trunk door is the best.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Yeah, I've had them that close to the trunk door and I agree 100%.. but in this car, I wanted some room in the trunk so its pushed back against the seat.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Yeah I have my sub all the way to the back. I even made the box tall, wide and shallow to take up as little space as possible. Never finished mounting my amps though, I have this idea but I'm a big time procrastinator lol.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

Yeah I have my sub all the way to the back. I even made the box tall, wide and shallow to take up as little space as possible. Never finished mounting my amps though, I have this idea but I'm a big time procrastinator lol.
As did I... mine fits perfectly under the seat latch so it doesn't move around all the much now.

I was going to mount my amp on something fancy... got lazy and screwed it onto the side of the box lol. Function over form right?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13
Function over form right?
Amen brother

Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 PM

well seems like ive finally understood everything now....looks like im goin to focus more on SQ instead of SPL for the simple fact that SQ just sounds better....SPL may be louder but in comparison SQ wins overall because its just better on more levels...and SPL isnt too much louder than SQ am i right??...

Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: AccordLXMaster

well seems like ive finally understood everything now....looks like im goin to focus more on SQ instead of SPL for the simple fact that SQ just sounds better....SPL may be louder but in comparison SQ wins overall because its just better on more levels...and SPL isnt too much louder than SQ am i right??...
Youre still not fully understanding it, what do you want? Loudness or sound quality? Do you want to be heard from 20 blocks away or do you want all the notes to be clean, crisp and supportive?

SPL and SQL are just different ways of measuring sub performance.

A lot of people still get in my car and ask if I have subs, not because they're quiet, but because they sound good and support the music, not over power it.

Quick Reply: Kicker Sub