Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Liquid cooling sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Default Liquid cooling sound system

http://cgi.ebay.com/XIGMATEK-AIO-S80...item3a619a9b28

I was looking at getting that sucker and running it on my 12 volt electrical system. (12 volt car is the same as 12 volt computer right? ) but anyway I was wondering if I could just run each tube to say the bottom metal part of the amp and thermal glue it to it. would that be effective? or would i need to drill a hole in the amp and glue it to the actual heatsink?

idk i like doing unusual custom **** and idc if its not the most practical thing to do. but if its effective i still want to do it you know.

thanks

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awUg_...eature=related would something like this be more practical?

Last edited by vipjdm-Justin; 01-17-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM

Overkill man. Water-cooling an amp efficiently is a little harder than buying a cpu cooler or that setup that you linked from YouTube. If you pump the water too fast, it will not have time to absorb and dissipate heat. Pump too slow and you will just be circulating warm water causing the components to heat up. Another issue would be leaks. Cars vibrate and that causes connections to loosen over time. If you want to move forward with the idea, maybe a “cold plate”. I am just thinking of the cuff here. Perhaps active cooling (above the dew point average in your area) of the fluid and pump it through a copper plate that is mounted to the heat sink. Look into TEC devices, they can heat and cool consuming a manageable amount of power. I guess what I am saying is research and design prototypes first so you don’t ruin your equipment.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM

^^thanks for the reply man...ya I actually looked at a TEC and ordered one off ebay to mess around with..i'll have to play with it before i start doing anything drastic.

thanks again

Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

yea, water cooling has been done before in cars for amps and sub magnets. more popular in Arizona.

i don't like the chance of leaks - routing would be difficult and crucial. damage to the tubing would be very likely. 12VDC for a computer is regulated. A car varies between 11.5VDC and 14.5VDC. you'd need a special power supply to regulate the output voltage.

amps are designed to cool well with adequate airflow. just position fans properly and you'll have all the cooling you need. even ducted fans can work well so you exhaust hot air and pull cool air.