Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

LOC install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question LOC install

i just got a 2004 honda accord ex-l and want to keep the stock head unit. the car sounds good but i miss having my subs int he car. I know that by adding an LOC it will give me RCAs but i dont know where i should spice into on the car? or how to hook it up. i am pretty good with aftermarket stereos just not keeping stock HUs. can someone help with maybe where is a good place to connect the LOC and the remote wire too?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if all you want to add is a sub then splice the LOC into the rear speakers under the rear deck. Easy to get to there.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the help. For the remote wire should I just Jump it in the fuse box?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

I would say yes use the acc fuse.

Keep hope alive is going to come in here and tell you not to that you need to get a loc with an auto on to trigger the remote.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by neophyte
I would say yes use the acc fuse.

Keep hope alive is going to come in here and tell you not to that you need to get a loc with an auto on to trigger the remote.
That is some funny stuff right there, I was thinking 100% the same thing.

Almost everytime I have installed a sub into a factory system I have just run the remote turn on to any acc wire. Works fine and for the few times that you drive and have the radio off the amp idling takes almost no power and will not cause any problems at all.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

There's the right way, and the way we did it in high school...

$25 for a LOC with turn-on is a no-brainer. Saves running the wire, buying a fuse tap, etc.

Modern amps are better at dealing with turn on thumps, but some aren't.

If you tap the fuse box, using the radio fuse (on/off with ignition) makes the most sense.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
There's the right way, and the way we did it in high school...

$25 for a LOC with turn-on is a no-brainer. Saves running the wire, buying a fuse tap, etc.

Modern amps are better at dealing with turn on thumps, but some aren't.

If you tap the fuse box, using the radio fuse (on/off with ignition) makes the most sense.

How does it save running the wire when you have to run a positive to the LOC?

Explain how wiring is reduced by using that loc which requires both a ground and a power source to operate?

I also find your statement a bit insulting, I have been out of High School for over 20 years, and while my installations may not be as good as yours they are better than most. On another thread I already explained to you that my current head unit, a Pioneer Avic-Z2, has power to the remote wire WHENEVER the car is on. So what is the difference in wiring an Amp to be on whenever the car is on, If Pioneer (a company with a large R&D budget) has no problem doing it, why should you say it is wrong or I am a High School Student for doing it that way?

Last edited by crispin; 03-23-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent points. I am not trying to be insulting. Relax, yo. An active LOC still requires power. So a wire is ran regardless. My statement was incorrect, thank you for correcting me. With the Navone LOC you can be much less discriminating with the source of power and you have less concern about noise.

I ran turn on wires to the fuse box when I was young, literally. Circa mid 90's. Now I avoid that and use it as a last resort. I have undone that step dozens of times to solve a variety of problems. So now I don't do it.

A fundamental rule in audio is to never have the amplifier on while sources are off or switching. I apply that in all applications: home, pro, and car audio.

To answer the OP, I try to use the front speaker output to feed subs when rear speakers remain. That way I can fade to front and have music in front of me without losing bass. If rear speakers are removed, then using the rear speaker outputs gives a bit of level control with the HU.

Using a wire fron the fuse box to turn the amp on works. Combine that with using rear speaker wires for signal and you don't have to remove the HU. It's easy. That is why it's done frequently.

That said, some modern amps have high level inputs and auto turn on making all of this moot.

Lastly, I don't thing my installs are any better than others. All that matters is the owner is happy. Everything else is extra.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 03-23-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i just want to thank you guys for your help i used an LOC that has the ACC wire to turn it on and remote it was an very easy install. the stereo sounds good now i just need to change out speakers.