Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Looking to replace front speakers on 03

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Looking to replace front speakers on 03

I was just curious as to what is the mounting depth for 7th gen Accord? And is 5.25" or 6.5" the better way to go? ( in terms of snugness of fit ) And do I need to buy another wiring harness? ( i ran into that issue when I had to replace the rear speakers.) Also, what inch spacer should I get? Gah, I bet these questions been answered before, sorry.

I've narrowed the list down to a couple of brands: Infinity, Alpine, and Audiobahn.

Any suggsstions to what models to get?

Right now, I'm looking at Alpine SPR17C front 6.5" speakers Link

Alpine SPR17S (Component System): Link

Alpine SPS-600: Link

Infinity Reference 6022i: Link

Infinity Reference 6022si: Link

Audiobahn AS65V: Link

Rockford Fosgate Power T162C: Link

Pioneer Ts-G1642R: Link

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Default RE: Looking to replace front speakers on 03

[align=left]The mounting depth is 2". I have seen 5.25"s will fit without any cutting and using a baffle. I have 6.5"s and I had to cut a little to get them to fit. The wires do have a plug on them but I just cut them off and splice into the wire. If you want to keep the plugs just cut them far back enough so you could strip and resplice them again later. Then save them for if whatever reason you would need to replace the stock speakers.[/align]

Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM

Hmm...thanks for the technical details....any suggestions on speakers (Alpine, Audiobahn, or Infinity?)

EDIT- Right now I'm leaning towards Infinity Reference 6022si because it's 1-15/16" mounting depth. No cutting involved! But drilling yes. "/ Also, Rockford Fosgate Power T162C and the Alpine SPR-17S Type R look very appealing.

If I do end up getting 6.5" and spacers, I can't put the factory grille back, correct? What to do about that mess? That picture below looks kinda bad w/o the stock grille. Granted it's taken from an Element.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:10 PM

In that price range there not going to be any drastic difference between sound quality. Mainly I what would look for is build quality and a good warranty. To begin choosing a setup do you plan on amping them? Even a inexpensive amp will be better than the headunit for power. But if you want to stick to not amping them look for speakers with a lower RMS rating, peak is irrelevant is only for marketing. Also look for speakers with an efficiency of at least 90db+.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM

I have JL XR650-CSi components in my front doors. I had to remove the bracing? behind the speaker grills on the door panels and they fit fine. I mounted the tweeters on the door panels just above the mids. Very little customization...may not look show ready but it sounds great and looks fine.
Good luck and keep us informed on how you make out.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:22 PM

I have my 6.5"s with a 1/4" baffle and I have 2 1/2" - 3" of space between the speaker and the door panel. So there is plenty of room between the speaker and the door panel.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Hmm, so what you're saying is that if I get the Alpines (mounting depth 2-15/16") or Rockford (mounting depth 2"+) and have a 1" spacer, the factory grille will still fit? Should the spacer be smaller say 1/2" ?

EDIT- On the topic of amps, probably not. I'm already happy with my rear deck (Pioneers hit pretty hard) and the stock front speakers are really nice...I just want to see what aftermarket (Alpine) can offer.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:56 PM

I'm probably gonna go with the Alpine SPS-600 6.5" in the front w/ 1" spacers. Deals out to ~$70. Wish me luck on the install!

I can just pry the grille off right?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 AM

I would stay away from all of those except for the infinities if your going to run them off the stock headunit. The stock headunit is about 14watts per channel. If your truly satisfied with the sound you get from the stock headunit, then you could do just that. Find efficient quality speakers with a sensitivity rating of 90dbs or more. The alpines have a rating of 87db, which wouldn't too bad if you amped them. But if you just hook those up to the stock headunit power they will sound muffled and weak.

EDIT: About the prying the grill off question. Do you mean the stock grill to install the speaker? If so, you need to remove the whole door panel to install the speakers. Its not like the rears where all you need to do is pop off the grill.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 AM

So I should go for speakers with a lower RMS and higher dB rating?

EDIT- Is it possible to just amp the front speakers (its closer to you anyways) using a 2 channel amp? 4 channel amps seem more expensive...

Quick Reply: Looking to replace front speakers on 03