Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Multiple Bose Issues

Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM
hip
Default Multiple Bose Issues

Greetings,

I have a 93SE (we're the original owners) with about 110K miles that is pretty much stock. Over the last few years various things have been failing and I continue to fix them myself whenever possible.

The latest issues concern the Bose system. There has been static and abnormal hissing noise coming mostly from the front drivers speaker. I sprayed contact cleaner behind the volume **** several years ago and it worked... for a while. I haven't done it again but the noise has returned and become more persistent now.

Adding to the problem is the head unit display, it is now very dim. Otherwise the radio plays fine for a 17 year old car.

I've done some research on the static problem and there seems to be some varying views on whether it's the speakers, Bose amp or head unit?

As for the display, it's pretty obvious the head unit is in need of servicing. However, I just found what appears to be a possible replacement for it by way of a similar unit from an Acura Legend for a very reasonable price.

Here are my questions:
1. The Acura head unit appears identical except for the description; "Bose Premium 2100." The seller says it will work with the regular Bose system as long as your model has the OEM external amplifier. - Is there anyway to check and ensure compatibility with the Accord?

2. I suppose if the head unit works out and I replace it, it would be too much to hope for that it simultaneously cures the static issue. - But if it doesn't, is there also a resource to check if the Acura and Honda Bose amps are interchangeable too?

3. This last question is just to satisfy my curiosity. One of the things that always bugged me about the 93 SE was the lack of a factory steering wheel audio control. My 89 SE-i had it and in later years just about every Accord did. - What is the complexity of retrofitting a steering wheel control from the same generation Acura Legend? I realize there are aftermarket options but I always like to keep things looking stock.

I appreciate any advice (other than suggestions like try swapping out the system for an aftermarket - wife wants the original).

Thanks for any help...

Last edited by hip; 12-20-2010 at 07:15 PM.