Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

My audio adaptation on 2003 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default My audio adaptation on 2003 Accord

I found a lot of good information on this site since I joined this year. My turn to provide some inputs. I thought I would share with you the stereo adaptation I did on my 2003 Honda Accord.
That adaptation gave me 3 Aux RCA connectors, 1 jack audio connector and 1 Ipod connection to my stock radio.
That enables me to connect a GPS (GPS sound through factory radio)as well as an HD Radio tuner. It also gave me an Ipod connector, 1 extra Aux rca connector and 1 jack audio connector. For the GPS I used a Garmin Nuvi 5000 that has a huge 5.2” screen. That size makes it fit perfectly into the stock CD box as you can see on the pics. It really looks like the GPS came integrated with the car. It is a great GPS with a beautiful screen but it only works when connected to a power source and has no battery included which I do not care since it stays in my car anyway. Because of this flaw it is going to be discontinued and can be bought for a great price on ebay. It is one of the best GPS screen I have seen to date. This GPS even enables to plug a video source if you want to so my next mod may be to add a rear camera.

An X3 audio connector switch enables me to switch to the different audio sources and is placed in the little box that says “not an ash tray’. The JVC HD Radio tuner fits on top of this as you can see in the pics.
I did these adaptations last summer and added the HD Radio tuner this week-end. All together I probably spent about 4h working on this.

Components I used:

Attached Thumbnails My audio adaptation on 2003 Accord-p1010768.jpg   My audio adaptation on 2003 Accord-p1010731.jpg   My audio adaptation on 2003 Accord-p1010753.jpg  

Last edited by alpac; 11-18-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I like how you implemented the GPS, being able to hide it is a major plus. Main reason I haven't invested in a GPS is because of theft. How do you have the GPS mounted though? When the GPS is removed is the cubby still usable?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes it is pretty cool that the GPS gets hidden when I close the door of the CD box. I used the stand that came with the Nuvi. The stand always stayed there and I can very easily take the GPS out by using the unlock button that is on the stand. The only reason why I take the GPS out sometime is to load the SD card with new MP3 music. Yes I forgot to say that I also used the Nuvi as an MP3 player and the sound through the tsock radio is awesome. Although I can plug my Ipod via the Ipod connector I actually used more often the GPS for MP3 music than the Ipod. The big screen on the GPS makes the selection of music easier than on the iPOD. I forgot to mention that I used and external GPS antenna to get optimum GPS reception.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Very good post, I read it over and it's got quality in it.

Thank You!