Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

my speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Default my speakers

ok here we go it all started about a month ago i get in my car and start it and the stereo comes on but the speakers in the car won't come on and give sound but my subwoofer comes on just fine ok wait its not over yet if i turn on my headlights the speakers will play just for a sec then kick back off so i have already checked the wiring on the stereo and checked fuse after fuse what am i missing here my car is a 1996 honda accord lx four door has alpine head unit jensen doors jensens in the trunk and 12 inch jensen sub old school jensen by the way not that new crap someone please help

Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

How long ago did you put in the stereo/speakers? Did this happen after you installed something?

Sounds like a possible wiring issue.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hondaman4000
ok here we go. it all started about a month ago. i get in my car and start it and the stereo comes on but the speakers in the car won't come on, but my subwoofer comes on just fine.

ok wait its not over yet. if i turn on my headlights the speakers will play just for a sec then kick back off.

so i have already checked the wiring on the stereo and checked fuse after fuse. what am i missing here?

my car is a 1996 honda accord lx four door. alpine head unit, jensen doors, jensens in the trunk, and 12 inch jensen sub, old school jensen by the way, not that new crap. someone please help
punctuation and spacing helps us actually read what you write.

i agree it's probably in your wiring. however, head units can and do fail. Alpine is no exception.

start by removing the Alpine - disconnect battery ground for any wiring changes. redo the power, ground connections to the head unit with insulated crimp connections and tape or solder - ground to the car floor (bare metal) and power (battery/ignition) to the battery. You want to bypass the factory wiring as much as possible to narrow down your issue.

disconnect the speakers from the head unit. make sure the speaker wires from the head unit are protected from shorting with an end cap or tape on each.

with a DMM, measure each disconnected speaker wire pair, you should read about 3.2-3.6 ohms for each speaker. if not, you have a connection issue for that speaker.

reconnect one speaker at a time, with the head unit off for the connections, testing for operation each time.

if you get the speakers working, reconnect battery and ignition power to the car as before, see if the issue remains. maintain the ground to the floor.

i assume you don't have an electronics work bench where you could just test the head unit there, so that's why i'm describing above.