Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need an amp!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:41 PM
rio

The headunit itself doesn't whine (on AM/FM or CD) modes.

It's weird...basically, my aux input adapter is transmitting power from my headunit (I can only assume that the cd changer option takes an aux power from the headunit this way?)

When I had first connected my satellite radio to my headunit - I connected all wires except the power to the satellite radio - and it turned on and powered up! I don;t recall if there was whine at that point (think there was) but it was a secondary issue to the volume being sub par from the satellite radio - picked up a line driver and a 2 ground loops - So it currently looks like this:

HU----Aux Adapter----ground loop insulator----line driver----ground loop insulator ---satellite radio

And I still have whine. I'd have no problem if that's going to go away - but thinking its not and it might be a matter of cutting the 'power' cables on the aux input - and backpowering this whole thing....

Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I really don't know much about that so I'm really no help there. I would try making a new ground behind the HU and use that ground for the adapters.

Last edited by t00fatt; 04-06-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:07 PM
rio

you don;t have a radio wiring diagram do you? I'm mid install and realizing that I don;t have a diagram for the speaker wiring (orange and irgane with black stripe = front left, etc.)

googling as we speak, but figured i;'d ask

Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM

Please don't tell me you cut the stock harness plug off... If you did, your going to have to go to your dealership and hgave them print out the diagram for you. If your talking about the adapter, the wires them selves should be labeled, or the adapter should have come with a diagram.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
rio

Nope, but I cut the wires about off about 5 inches from the plug to run to the amp. Found the pin's color code diagram online and was able to run it no problem.

Have it installed and I'm disappointed that I have some background noise. Not sure if its rf or ground. Gotta check it out and see if pitch changes with alternator. But I did ground to the seat bolt as you suggested and also twisted all wires (but i think i forgot to twist my rcas - so might just be that simple.)

Also - going to replace my battery ground wire with a 2 gague (for $7 at autozone) to better ground everything. Just need to check out the best way to attach to the car (drill a new hole and secure with a screw, etc.) I'll prob look to do a 'big 3' replacement this summer when its a bit warmer.

The kickers do provide nice bass - the eq is a bit off - but I can;t afford a cleansweep right now - so i'll deal.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Do you have your RCAs near any power lines? That will induce alternator whine. Did you sand the paint off when you added your ground?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
rio

It was hard to listen today with the rain - but it sounds more like static/line noise than alt whine. But - I do have RCAs passing some power - but it can't easily be avoided. I need to rip my passenger door off this weekend anyway to determine why my speaker is rattling the door so bad on passenger - but not driver side...

I haven't run the new ground wire yet - I was going to wirebush the body at the connection point - but sanding it sounds even better. Any suggestion how I attach it to the body? Currently, I have the stock hoop adapter. Worth/easy to drill and screw a machine screw?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM

That noise could just be coming from the HU itself. That rattling is the plastic sheeting vibrating on the door. I'm not sure what "your supposed to do" but I ripped that all out and sealed the door panel with sheets of dynamat and 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant. Has worked perfectly for me, but I store my car in a gargae, and I don't drive throgh rain too often. You have to be carfeul as that side of the panel is exposed to water, so just ripping out the plastic sheating is not a good idea. Now it could be a lose peice in the door panel viberating. I had to put foam lining on my door cubbys to keep things in the from viberting up a storm.

If the ground your talking about is for the HU, I wouldn't btoher if you got rid of the alternator whine. I'm pretty sure a new ground won't help with line noise.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
rio

Have always had an alt whine (from satellite radio/line driver - even with the glis). I'm def going to replace the ground wire. The Amp noise is present with the radio off. So it has to be something something coming in w/o the hu...interference or whine...

I hope to have time to play this weekend while continuing to fine tune and listen closer all week.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM

Well when I had my stock HU and my sub hooked up, all kinds of noise would come out when the HU was off. So with the radio on is the noise still there, or do you just think it is?

Quick Reply: Need an amp!?!