Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Default New Amp

Hey guys as you may recall i just had an alpine amp installed... but my friend has a more powerful amp that he'll trade for my alpine. So my question is, if I install this amp (link below) will i be ok on stock electricals, or should i add a cap?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P400...ures_and_specs

This will be my only amp BTW

Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 PM

you should be fine with everything stock.
thats the amp i wish i had for my speakers =[

Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 PM

yea its a nice amp for sure
out of curiousity does a cap make a difference??

Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 PM

its just a bandaid really. it actually puts more stress on the alternator. you should upgrade to a high-output alternator and battery to really get the job right. plus a big 3 upgrade

Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 PM

If thats the only amp youre using, youll definitely be fine with the stock charging system so long as the battery and alternator are in good working order. You can run over 1000 total watts on the stock charging system. I do.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 PM

your running over 1000 watts RMS on the stock charging system alone??!! Geez!!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm also running just over 1000w with no problems with the electrical system. How much power you draw really has to do with how loud your blasting your music. Your amps only draw close to their rating when you crank it up. I don't even have any dimming, but I have upgraded my big three and battery. I also changed out all my lights to LEDs, and headlights to HIDs. LEDs and HIDs don't dim as noticeably with voltage drops, the voltage has to drop quite a bit to see them dim.

A Cap is only good after replacing your battering and big three and drawing a significant amount of power. Anything less than 1500w or even 2000w doesn't really need a cap. A cap is only keeping the voltage steadying by supplying your amp with current the battery and alt couldn't for a second, but this actually puts even more strain on your electrical system. A Cap is not a source of energy, it must be charged from the battery and alt, which only increases how much power your pulling and does not decrease it.

A high output alternator is really only needed if your drawing close to 2000w or more. I believe the 7th gen alt is 70 or 80 amps which is a good amount of power.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 AM

^^^ Yup.

The only time youll need a boat load of current is if you listen to severe bass heavy music and damn near full tilt volume for a long time. Or youve got a ton of accessories that will also pull from the charging system.

Youd be surprised how little current your amps will draw under NORMAL and MUSICAL listening levels.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 AM

hey I just recently noticed that there is a slight bit of dimming when my music is cranked and the bass notes hit. My system is a bit different than before, i have a kicker zx350.4 with 2 channels bridged running a Rockford fosgate p3 at 2 ohms and the other 2 channels running my 2 ohm infinity components in the front. Mind you there is not alot of dimming and it is only when the music is cranked fairly high and the heavy bass notes hit. Should i be worried?? If so what should i do??

Old 03-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

No that is perfectly normal, halogens are very sensitive to voltage change and is very visible. Voltage only has to drop a few points for noticeable dim on halogens. I swapped all my lights out for LEDs as they do not dim as noticeably with slight voltage drops or at all. HIDs also tolerate the voltage drops all the way down to 11v I believe.

Quick Reply: New Amp