Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New amp for sub

Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Default New amp for sub

Ok so if you guys recall i have a kicker zx350.4 which is running my fronts, and bridged to run a sub. The sub i have now is a 12" infinity kappa in a ported box. I was thinking about getting another amp, as i know tOOfatt recommended i do. My sub is a dual 2 ohm so can be set to 1 or 4ohm, so i dont want a mono, as most give their full potential at 2ohm, and significanlty less at 4ohm. I was thinking either the kicker zx250.2, which is good for a 4ohm load bridged and gives you 250rms, or the kicker zx350.2, which is the same, just 350rms. my sub is rated at 350 rms but could i get away with with the 250 since i have a ported box?? what do you guys recommend?? And i know ive asked this a million times but these 2 amps will be fine on stock electricals?? just wanna make sure. I will be using my zx350.4 to run all my inside speakers if i get this.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The JL Slash 250/1v2 amp is 1ohm stable, and one hell of an amp. It isn't cheap, but no 1 ohm stable amp is going to be cheap. I can't think of any others that are 1 ohm stable, and this small. Going with the kicker amp is not a bad option either. The main benefit of running the JL amp is efficiency. The JL amp is digital, which is much more efficient than A/B swtiching amps. Digital amps also stay much cooler and I belive are less susepctble to clipping and power loss when it does get hot. If you can afford the JL amp, go for it, if not the kicker isn't a bad choice either.

With either amp you will still be far away from overloading your electrical system.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 PM

ok thanks, the only problem is that the guy i get my stuff from cant get jl products or else id give it a try. As for the kicker amps (which i have come to love after switching my alpine for the zx350.4), will my sub pound with the zx250.2 or will the 350.2 make a big difference??

Last edited by christian2000accord; 04-13-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 PM

Well if your really want my opinion I wouldn't waste the money getting a small amp just for that sub. It really isn't a great sub. But if you want to go that route, I would go for the 250.2 just because it is cheaper. A small quality sub would be much better. One option would be to get a 500w amp and run the kappa off it until it blows, than replace it with a nice type-r, or a even a 10" CVX is nice. I just heard my first 10" CVX and was surprised by the SPL output, and as with any 10" it had very nice SQ.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM

ok so i got a 300rms 2 channel mtx amp for my sub, so now i will have that amp as well as my zx350.4. I am still within the limits of my stock electricals correct?? I have done no modifications at all to the electrical system such as big 3, etc. Am I still safe??

Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Very safe, the big three doesn't do anything but help stabilize the voltage when your drawing a lot of power. Even with your smaller battery your just fine, just don't blast music for too long with the car off. MTX makes some nice amps, good choice.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM

hey just asking a question for a friend. He has a rockford p400-4, which says it is 4,3, or 2 channel. But there is a switch on it that lets you select either 2 or 4 channels. how do run this amp with 3 channels??

Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM

you set it to 4 then bridge one side like you had your amp. I'm on my iPod sorry for the short response

Old 04-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the kicker 350.4 is mainly used to run all for door and deck speakers in the rear... a sub amp is mainly used on a mono block class d setup to get the best wound out of your system . i run a kicker cvr 15 2 ohm and a kicker 300.1 amp witht he remote bass controller it sounds VERY good but running a multi channel amp would def give u more Siganl to noise ratio being that thoses multi channel amps are mainly built to amplify Vocals and not bass id really go ahead and buy u a good hifonics amp mono block and call it good

Old 04-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by streetlimitz89 View Post
the kicker 350.4 is mainly used to run all for door and deck speakers in the rear... a sub amp is mainly used on a mono block class d setup to get the best wound out of your system . i run a kicker cvr 15 2 ohm and a kicker 300.1 amp witht he remote bass controller it sounds VERY good but running a multi channel amp would def give u more Siganl to noise ratio being that thoses multi channel amps are mainly built to amplify Vocals and not bass id really go ahead and buy u a good hifonics amp mono block and call it good
First off if you can't explain why, don't bother. Your wrong anyways... The difference between A/B and digital amps is that digital amps are more efficient, but can have trouble producing higher frequencies. Not the other way around... A/B amps have no problem producing bass. Using a small A/B amp to run a sub is not optimal but is just fine, running a large A/B amp is where it starts to get wasteful. Running an A/B will not bring up the noise floor over a digital amp, unless it begins to get excessively hot. Lastly your 15" CVR does NOT sound good, that sub wants at least 500w. How do I know? I used to run 15" CVRs and fed them 700ws each, and I still wasn't very satisfied with them. And hifonics amps are not even close to being a quality amp anymore. Sure back in the day they were nice, now they are only a few steps ahead of boss... Just because they look pretty, doesn't mean they are good. They just know young kids like you will think that makes it a good amp. So please I have hard enough of a time keeping up with everyone's questions, don't make me correct you as well...

Last edited by t00fatt; 04-25-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New amp for sub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.