Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Sound System '00 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Default RE: New Sound System '00 Sedan

i have the idax100 and i love it i hate CD's i would buy it all over again

Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 PM

still it dont make sence front or rear

Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 PM

My bad. I changed my email address when I moved a couple months ago and didnt change it on here and since I dont hit the forums that much, I missed the PM. Not trying to 'dis anybody.

In the $1000 range, any of the major names will be about the same for amps. MTX, Rockford Fosgate and Kicker all make very solid gear. All are well built and will cleanly exceed their rated power. Likewise with the head units. Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood and Clarion all make solid units but I prefer Alpine myself.

Speakers and subs are a little different, especially speakers as different speakers have their own "sound". For instance, I prefer the natrual and smooth sound of Polk Audio's Signature Reference line and it what I run in my SQ competition setup. MB Quart has a natrual but very detailed and somewhat bright sound. Diamond Audio has lots of good detail but can be somewhat "glassy" sounding. Focal has a bright and midbass heavy sound. Speakers are the most important part of your system and while you can buy amps and HU's online, I HIGHLY recommend listening to several brands of speakers before deciding.

Nothing wrong with having a shop do the install for you but if youre mechanically inclined you can do it yourself with little problem. The Accord is pretty easy to install on (except for the HU) and a simple installation is by no means beyond Joe Sixpack.

As for the charging system, so long as youre listening to your music at a MUSICAL level and not dropping sine bombs at full tilt volume, youre stock charging system will be plenty so long as the alternator and battery are in good condition. 1000 watt amps dont make 1000 watts all the time just like your car may be capable of 130 mph, its not always going that fast. Same with amps. Quiet passeges in music require less power to reproduce and vice versa with loud and/or bass heavy passages.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Good to see you Mac!!!

cx: I agree. It doesn't make sense, but if you try it, you'll see that it works.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks so much for the information!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 PM

Everyone has been very helpful with their advice and suggestions but you seem to be misunderstanding some of what is being said. Not a big deal but can become a repetition thing.

To try to answer your bold questions:
Battery size: Easy answer is to use the battery recommended by the store where you are going to purchase it. I use Sears as I like the "Die Hard" brand and my system requires no more power than what is supplied by the stock alternator and battery. Based on your system desires and budget you too require no more than what the stock system supplies. You do not need to spend more than what a good stock battery costs. A Die Hard is a modestly costly battery with a good reputation. You can get more power based on what you need and what will fit in your battery compartment.

Speakers: According to Crutchfield your car uses 6 1/2 inch speakers in the front door panels and 6x9 speakers in the rear deck. Only caveat here is the depth of the front speakers. some require a good deal of depth and may require some customization to fit properly. But generally you should not have a problem, with your budget, in this area. My 6 1/2 inch JL component mids fit very well in the factory location but coaxials may be a bit more difficult.

Subwoofer: The trunk is the usual spot for the sub...a 12" sub with reasonable power from its' amp will provide more than enough bass...again working within your budget.
Amp: You did not mention amp placement but more than likely it will be attached to the back of your back seat. You may lose the pass through but it is a small loss for quality sound.

Rear speakers: They are located in the rear deck. I am by no means close to very knowledgeable but am not aware of speakers behind the rear seat in this car.

Tweeters: If you are going to use components for the front...recommended by most everyone...the tweeters can go in various locations. They can be mounted in the sail panels...black triangular bit of plastic, or on/in the door panel close to the mid-range speaker. They may be able to be mounted in the panel if there is enough room behind the panel and you or the installer cuts the panel to surface mount them. They can also be mounted directly on the door panel...that is how mine are mounted...requiring a small hole or two for the screw(s) and the wire. Closer to the mid-range is generally accepted as the best location but that is not always possible or wanted and those that mount them on the sail panel or A pillars have no complaints with sound stage. Some Accords have mount locations wayyyyy up front on the dash board right about where the windshield meets the dash...my stock tweets (disconnected hehehe) are here ugh...but are not regarded as a good spot for tweeter placement.

PS: You can drive yourself crazazy and become very very confused by reading too many forum postings regarding car audio...There seems to be nearly as many beliefs of install, brand choices, etc. as there are brands.
You do not need nor should buy a capacitor. You should buy a wiring kit based on the power of the amp and maybe a bit larger but do not go crazy.
I suggest you head over to Crutchfield and use their "Outfit My Car" option. I used it for your car and it gave me tons of options. They also include complete installation instructions for each part purchased for the specific car, seem to have a good telephone support system and give the smaller adapters, etc. for the specific car and offer larger adapter parts at reasonable cost. I have purchased from them for years...not trying to be a schill...and never a bad experience.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM

Thank you, you sexy beast you.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do a little research for yourself. I already told you the speakers that work. This thread is getting annoying. Don't expect further input from me.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 PM

The battery you plan to put under hood depends on how much power you are running. The numbers for the kinetik batteries are to matched with how much power you're running. The HC1400 will fit just fine under your hood. It had that in my '01 Accord sedan till I upgraded to an Odyssey PC 1200.

Subwoofers, in the trunk. Unless you do an infinite baffle system where you put the subs in the rear deck. As for the tweeters, you might have stock locations up on the dash by windshield. If not, and even if you do, you'll get better soud by installing them in the A pillars.

Don't worry about the speakers in the back. I actually took mine out. People who do SQ (sound quality) setups don't use rear speakers anyway since it messes with the sound stage. You can either disconnect them or just leave the stock ones. They are more for the people in the back anyway in my opinion. It will take a couple days for you to get used to them and at first it will sound odd without them if you decide to ditch them. But people won't notice they aren't hooked up, at least nobody has in my vehicle.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:57 AM

THANK YOU DONPISTO!

Quick Reply: New Sound System '00 Sedan