Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default New Speakers

Hey All

Well I think my speakers are about shot in the rear so I will be getting some new ones soon.

I already have 2 10x10 sound dampening sheets I will be using made by Scosche that I bought today. Do you think it is worth it or will make any difference?

I will have roughly $90 to spend, but would soon like to replace the front speakers as well so if I could do both for that thatd be awesome. So what should I get? I have seen that I could get some 5 1/4 and 6x9 Pioneers at Wal-Mart for roughly $90.
I will not be amping my speakers and have no intentions to so I dont need $200 speakers or anything like that.

Also, it seems as though my speakers both back and front are louder on the passenger side than the drivers side....any ideas?

Currently I have an Aiwa Headunit, Volfenhag 500 watt rms subs, Audiobahn amp, Lightning Audios in the front, and roadmasters in the rear.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
akanoon
Unregistered
Default RE: New Speakers

Hi 19Accord97,

Here are some things to keep in mind and some suggestions:
- If you're running of the headunit, you'll need to pay attention to sensitivity of the speaker. Shoot for 90dB or higher. This means they are more efficient (play louder with less power).

- Save money on the 6x9 and get the most inexpensive yet quality ones you can find. Use the money on the front speakers. You'll be hearing more from them and they'll probably distort first. The 6x9 will provide some bass but since you have subs that's taken care of. Think of the 6x9 as just something to keep your guests in the back entertained, not much more.

- Use the sound deadening sheets on areas where you hear the most rattle (doors or rear rack - where 6x9s go). You really don't have much so you'll have to find the best use for it.

As far as the louder passenger side, check your headunit settings. If it's really annoying or it throws off the imaging, you can move the balance a bit to the left and that should even things out. The actual problem can be a number of things (from speakers, to wiring, to the actual HU).

Good luck,
Ashur

Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If I were you, the first thing I'd use the sound mat for is to replace the plastic vapor barier in your doors. If you put any power into the door, the mid-bass will buzz the plastic.

For the volume issue, the passanger side may sound louder because your leg is blocking the driver's side speaker. Try listening from the middle back seat with only the front speakers on. Also, due to the positioning of the door speakers and the center console, for some reason, reversing the polarity of 1 channel in the front improves the sound stage so you hear the voice in the center of the car rather than everywhere. Like mentioned, the actual problem may be any number of things.

Polk db speakers are in your price range and I've heard them run from the head unit and they sound very nice. JVC's are very efficient speakers and are in your range as well, but I think the Polk's sound better. Don't mix JVC 6x9's and Polk 5.25's ..... that combo sounds like crap!

I agree that the quality of the front speakers is where you should put your money, however keep in mind that the type of sound from the fronts and rears should be the same. A Polk is fairly mellow sounding compared to an Infinity which some describe as bright while others think they're shrill. Your best bet is to go listen to some brands to get the feel for their sound.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for your help guys! I will be keeping that in mind.

I forget, what is the max depth of speaker for an Accord? And when you guys installed yours, did you use the little plastic thing the speaker sat in to keep it from getting wet or what? I planned on using the mat for the rears but I guess ill use them for the front. I have tried putting just the music to the front and moving my leg but it always seems that the passenger side is louder. I guess ill have to hop over there and see if that makes the drivers side louder.

I guess I will be looking around, but what do you think of the pioneers from Wal-Mart? They also had some Sonys on clearance for roughly the same price. Or should I try to get some off eBay? I dont know if they are 90 db though.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

What are componet speakers?
How about these?
2-ways, 3 ways, or what?!
And are you supposed to break in speakers?

Kickers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW...QQcmdZViewItem

Pioneers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-N...QQcmdZViewItem

Sony
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sony-...QQcmdZViewItem

Rockford Fosgates (but they are used so idk)
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/roc..._122021/tm.htm

I just want some speakers that sound nice, and will compliment my subs. Also, do I have to stay with the same brand for the front and rears? I mainly listen to rock, and rap, and hits from today! lol

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM

I have a pair of 3-way Pioneers from Wally world and they work well. Stay away from anything that says Xplode on it ..... that's what it will do .... in a mushroom cloud!!! LOL, but seriously, Sony Xplode stuff sucks.

Those are co-axial speakers, not components. Components have separate woofers and tweeters and also have an external crossover. Of those, I'd choose the Pioneers to match the Pioneer 6x9's mentioned ..... in my case, the 6x9's that I already have. I haven't decided if I am going to sell them or not yet, but that might happen fairly soon because I can use a little cash for the crazy upgrading that I am in the middle of.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Stay away from 3 ways that have a mid bass, a tweeter, and a "super" tweeter. Thats a just a sales gimmick and are usually worse quality then real 2 ways. If the three way has a woofer, a mid bass, and a tweeter now thats a real 3 way setup. Also I had some kicker speakers in my last car, they were ok nothing special. They did seem durable though if thats a factor for your, but I only ran them for about a year so I don't really know.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM

My Pioneers have a 2.5" mid I think .... either way, I got them really cheap! A friend got them with an employee discount and was lazy about installing them. Then he sold the car and they were mine for $20. Couldn't argue that one ..... unused speakers?!?

Old 05-10-2008, 03:47 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright guys, I really need a new set of speakers asap. Right now I am focusing on the front and will get some for the rears shortly. I want a quality pair that sound great w/o being amped and wont blow. These are all roughly $30. HELP!

Pioneers. (Are these cheap b/c they suck?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-TS-G1341...QQcmdZViewItem

Volfenhag Same brand as subs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-VOLFENHAG-5-25...QQcmdZViewItem

Kenwood
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-07-NEW-260w...QQcmdZViewItem

Audiobahn. Same brand as amp and more expensive
http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOBAHN-5-25-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Please, let me know if one of these speakers will fit or not. I know Honda uses shallow mounting speakers but I dont remember what the max depth is. THANK YOU ALL

Old 05-11-2008, 12:50 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

[sm=feedback.gif]

Quick Reply: New Speakers