Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

A new user has some questions about sub/amp setups

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 PM

I've been all over the place with this and I know that, but my mind has finally changed one last time.

I decided to pull the trigger on one JL Audio 10W6v2 sub. Should I be wiring this 4-ohm sub at 2-ohms on a mono amp or would you recommend something different? Plus, with the type of music I'm going to listen to (lots of bass drops and whatnot) wouldn't you recommend a ported enclosure instead of a sealed one even with the loss of precision?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

a sealed box has lower frequency response than a ported box. with a ported box you need a subsonic filter to protect the sub below it's tuning frequency. granted, you can build a larger ported box with a very low tuning frequency to gain some low frequency output, but you still need a sub sonic filter below that. Ported boxes are also tricker to build, and can be very unforgiving. Sealed is easier to build, easier to get right, and will usually provide a "tighter" sound quality. With enough power, it'll have plenty of punch. Just locate it in the right place, with that small of a box, a rear corner is very easy to do.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?series_id=6

nice sub choice, i really like JL products. A 500/1 would be the perfect amp for it.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:54 AM

My sub came in yesterday and the 500/1 is on its way. Now all I need is my enclosure. I don't think I want to get into building it myself, seems too complex. Plus, I'm sure it would be cheaper getting speaker wire myself rather than BB supplying it when they install the sub/amp. I don't plan on installing those myself.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

paying someone to install the gear is a good idea. let them warranty the install.

maybe ask BB what they would charge to make something that would perfectly fit the vehicle?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:49 PM

BB makes custom enclosures? I'll definitely give them a call then.

edit: just called them and they said no. Maybe I can find a local place.

Last edited by ShadowWolf9; 06-12-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

^depends on the BB. if you were in Texas you could have something done custom.

A local shop will do what you want.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

also something ive had great success with is getting an amp wiss a bass control ****! a **** at arms reach to turn up or down the bass to perfect level for each song since every songhas a different bass level. Especially if you decided to keep the stock speakers that would make sure the bass was never overpowering the highs, I know i cant live without one now...

Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

for a real nice sub level **** that is compatible with any setup - JL Audio CL-RLC
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=446

Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Alright, the installation date at Best Buy is scheduled for next Friday. I have everything I need but the wires.

I was looking to go with a 4 gauge kit yet I just got off the phone with a BB associate at my local store and they only stock Kicker 4 gauge kits, which run around $170. That's WAY too expensive for my range. I was wondering if you guys could recommend a decently priced 4 gauge amp kit that is still of good quality. There are many deceptive listings on Amazon so I'm not looking to get duped.

Although, is it necessary to go with 4g? Would I be fine with 8g? I thought that if I'm going to spend all this money I might as well ensure my purchase.

edit: Also, the associate said they wouldn't be removing my stock sub and that I could just simply disconnect it. Based on what you said before about the rear speakers and how they could impede bass or become damaged, keep_hope_alive, would it be preferable to completely remove the sub myself?

edit2: What does a bass control **** like the CL-RLC do that my new HU or even my stock deck couldn't?

Last edited by ShadowWolf9; 06-25-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Hmm, after looking at some charts it looks like I'd get away with 8g just fine.

Quick Reply: A new user has some questions about sub/amp setups