Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

A new user has some questions about sub/amp setups

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

good point, funny they don't have one for an Accord, but do for the Camry.

you could make one out of wood that would perform fine. even with my wedge box in the rear passenger corner i was happy with the performance.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 10-02-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:55 PM

I'm not exactly a handyman ha ha. Looks like ill have to spend a decent chunk of change when I ultimately decide

Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

maybe find a wedge style box that is made for standard cab trucks? that way it isn't very deep, but it long(wide) for placement along the side of the trunk?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I've been searching around and cannot find anything. I'd love for it to be ported and fit to the specs of the sub, but I can't find anything other than that massive and expensive fatbox. I need to pull the trigger soon, but that enclosure will make a big hit on my wallet.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

verify what a local shop will charge for a custom enclosure. Call around, maybe with a 100 mile radius.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Yeah, someone just referred me to a shop about 30 minutes away. I'm going to give them a shot.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

when going to a shop for the first time, ask to talk to the installer. get them talking, ask them for ideas - the more they talk the more time you have to evaluate their knowledge and experience. Ask to see what they are working on. After a 20 minute conversation i can usually get a look back in the shop area.

If the installer is MECP certified, that is a huge plus. If not, they better have 10 years experience under their belt. I wouldn't let anyone under the age of 21 touch my car. Hopefully, they have been at the same shop for 5+ years with repeat customers. That is key. If they move around too much that means they have no accountability.

I recommend that installers should solder and heat shrink all connections. It's not hard for someone who does that on a daily basis already.

You can't evaluate a shop based on the sales staff alone. I've gone into shops where the installers were top notch and the salesman was a complete idiot.

And always ask to see their photo book. Good shops take pictures of their installs to show them off. If you want fiberglass work done, they should have a lot of fiberglass experience. And verify that the pictures they are showing you are work their current installer has done.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 10-06-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 AM

What are the advantages of fiberglass enclosures? I've been researching the differences between fiberglass and MDF and it doesn't seem like a clear cut advantage. Basically, I called them up and asked for a quote on what a regular ported single JL13w6v2 enclosure would cost. They left me a message back saying $120, which isn't bad considering Fatbox was $140 plus $50 shipping. However, with that order they get the enclosure from one of their dealers. They still do custom work though.

Thing is, I'm not sure what I want exactly. Trunk space isn't a huge deal for me and I'm primarily looking for optimal placement and power. What could possibly be done other than a straight up ported box fit to the sub to give it a little more output?

Also, when I intend to upgrade my JL 500/1v2 down the line, is it really necessary to stick with JL and grab the 1000/1v2? The price on that thing is absurd.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

subwoofer placement is HUGE for determining performance. corner loaded is the best location in the trunk if you want accurate reproduction. the closer to the corner - the better the performance.

fiberglass that is conformed will offer better SQ simply due to the uneven nature of the enclosure. MDF boxes are usually rectangles and require a slanted front to help with response. you usually don't want a flat reflecting wall right behind your speaker. uneven is best.

but either can work well. fiberglass usually are more aesthetically pleasing, can look like an OEM option, and take up less space. they are also airtight by design, MDF can and often does leak.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Great post!

Quick Reply: A new user has some questions about sub/amp setups