Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Noobish question about wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Noobish question about wiring

Ok, so this is probably a noobish question (and after some logical deductive reasoning I think that I know the answer, but want to ask anyway.)

1991 Honda Accord Coupe

I'm putting in a pair of Component Speakers amped up front. (Tweeters in the A-Pillars and mids in the doors). Nothing ear splitting as I have a child that I cart around in this vehicle from time to time.

In the rear I have a pair of Coax's.

Now since I'm obviously using the pre-out for the front Comps to wire the amp in, I was wondering the following...

Can I use the wiring from the harness in the back of the Head Unit and splice it in with the wiring to the back speaker, thereby doubling the power to the back speakers (which are not at this point amped and rely on Head Unit power.)

Now, after some logical deduction I believe this would not be possible as the Head Unit is sending different signals to front/back speakers and so splicing them together would not be possible and have it sound good. But I figured I would ask anyway.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

you cannot combine head unit amplifier channels for more power. doing so would damage the amplifier (or at least send it into protect mode). you're only getting about 12W RMS out of a head unit anyway, and the distortion is audible. When you hear distortion from a speaker powered by a head unit - it's usually not the speaker, it's the head unit.

it's a fair question and one i see often. we can bridge amplifiers, why can't we bridge head units? the answer is that head units are already "bridged" - meaning each wire (positive and negative) have an amplified signal that combine at the speaker in the same way a bridged amp does. That's how they get that much power out of an amp the size of a credit card.

you'll be happiest once you get front and back on an amp - simply for clarity and low distortion. then use your fader when the kids are in the car.