General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 AM
Default wiring question

ok so i am going on a long trip this weekend and if you remember i was having problems with my radio, power antenna, and blower motor not getting juice. i think i cooked a fuseable link. my question is for the main power wire for the radio(doesnt get power but the other one does) is there a wire i can use that would work in its for a tempory time being? like ther is a battery wire and then the main power wire and the battery wire is the one that works(cd's still go in and out but thats it) i dont know which wires under the dash have power and which dont which is why i was asking before i just went hunting for a wire.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: wiring question

battery wire? like..... redunant power? cause the main power wire is coming from the used area and then the main fuse box under the hood which comes from the battery...... if i remember the power for the deck should be the yellow wire, the red is the ignition wire so the deck isnt always on....... so when your car is off you should get no voltage of the red wire, and the other wire there should always be voltage on it

Old 03-31-2006, 02:01 PM

yeah problem is i dont get power to that wire that feeds power when its on. the constant power wire works...but the other one doesnt...so i am just looking for another wire that will work like the one that feed the radio when the car is running.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:37 PM

hrmm odd.....well when in doubt you can jump a wire of your side panel fuse block and run it to the deck. when i say jump just slide the wire into the side that doesnt get power that way its still fused and if something goes wrong the fuse will blow and you will still have your deck

Old 03-31-2006, 02:40 PM

yeah...how do you tell which side gets power and which doesnt? pull the fuse and hit the 2 sides of that spot with a test light? which fuse would be a good one to use...like which actual fuse on the pannel.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:59 PM

do you use your cig lighter? that one would be a good one, and yeah, a test will work great, just remember to clip it to a piece of metal somewhere otherwise you wont get much testing. and you have to remember that some of those fuses wont turn on unless the car is on, or unless the door is open but obviously those will be on based on the door being open

Old 03-31-2006, 03:19 PM

yeah i dont use my sig lighter...so can i just run the power wire from the cig lighter straight up to the radio? if so that would be awsome and save me alot of hastle

Old 03-31-2006, 05:32 PM

yeah, at the very least you may want to get a larger fuse for it. i think the part the cig lighter is on is either a 7.5 or 10 amp cant remember. but in the end, you can take the power from anywhere

Old 04-05-2006, 04:19 PM

my question about the cig lighter is if i do it that way will it run my battery dry? or will it work like normal?

Old 04-05-2006, 04:47 PM

your radio when off wont run your battery dry. if you use the cig lighter source. it is just like the radio source....when you turn the key off it shuts off the power.

Quick Reply: wiring question