Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Pioneer DEH-5900iB
54.55%
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X591
45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Pioneer or Kenwood Headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Default Pioneer or Kenwood Headunit?

I'm sorry to make such a useless thread but I am really torn between these two units. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with these units or similar units and can give me like an opinion.

Pioneer DEH-5900iB

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X591

Old 10-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Pioneer or Kenwood Headunit?

well I am biased to Pioneer but...here goes

I like the Pioneer more because you have a larger adjustability on the EQ and sound in something as a car is always a concern, wattage being the same all around makes no difference but for a mere $50 you can control your ipod without a adaptor that the Kenwood doesn't offer as a upgraded deck...but for a $100 you get some screensavers??? big deal. and not worth a $100 either.

while both offer similar aspects and features, it would seem the Pioneer has a little more subtle and sleeker look to it and seems a tad softer on user interfacing (which is important to me when buying) and the single dial look (for me and this is a personl thing) is just a all around better look. I didn't like the look on the face on the Kenwood as it seems very old school digitalish (new word! lol) and again the Pioneer won me over on a softer look again

I have a version down from that Pioneer and since that is truly the first pioneer I have ever bought for myself (always bought Alpine, but just decided to give Pioneer a chance) so far I have been very happy with it, it interfaces quite easily, seems to be very adjustable to be able to tailor your sound to liking and has a clean installed look in my car...all the way down to the trim ring which for whatever reason, I never seem to get to fit right but on my car it finally worked.

I vote for the Pioneer

Old 10-06-2007, 03:32 PM

yeah i was actually leaning more toward the pioneer for looks and functionality.but from reading the specs from crutchfield the kenwood one theoretically has better sound quality. i was wondering if anybody could clear that up for me. and just ignore the price differences between the two.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Kenwood sponsors one of our cars, so of course I goota Go Kennie Wood...what else could I say

Old 10-06-2007, 11:48 PM

The Pioneer face looks more clean and sleek than the Kenwood. I'd go with the Pioneer.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:56 PM

Kenwood.

Pioneers have too many noise issues.

Besides, Id rather have the 3 band parametric EQ of the Kenwood over the 7 band graphic EQ of the Pioneer.

Personally, for $225 Id rather have this Eclipse.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bTxcljf...5684&avf=N

Old 10-07-2007, 05:14 AM

ORIGINAL: MacLeod

Kenwood.

Pioneers have too many noise issues.

Besides, Id rather have the 3 band parametric EQ of the Kenwood over the 7 band graphic EQ of the Pioneer.

Personally, for $225 Id rather have this Eclipse.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bTxcljf...&tp=5684&avf=N

Holy Moly Macleod! NOICE find!

I hereby change my vote! heck might even go order that baby! 3 sets of 5volt out? awesome! only thing I have to add is the ipod adaptor cuz I listen to that all the time

and well priced too.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:14 AM

hmm that eclipse is a nice unit. the specs from crutchfield really dont look too great but youre the man macleod so ill trust you on it. i was kinda hoping for a strong fm signal and a rear aux port though. but i suppose i can save up a lil bit more and invest my money the right way.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 AM

ok since i will be saving up a lil more for a better unit anyway i figured i would just look into better units.

Eclipse CD3100

Alpine CDA-9885

Clarion DXZ775USB

Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM

eclipse or ALPINE! no, I'm not biased at all on that now am I? LOL! being originally a Alpine fan I would naturally head for them, but Eclipse is making some really nice stuff.

not a Clarion deck fan at all...always looked "dated" to me

although some of their speakers sound really nice and for a time I had their stuff in a older Datsun 200sx I had. but never liked the look of their radios....its a hard line between sleek and today without being retro

Quick Reply: Pioneer or Kenwood Headunit?