Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ported boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Default ported boxes?

i have two alpine 10" type rs and they're currently in a sealed box, i've read that boxes need to be air tight there for drilling 2 inch holes in a few places could most likely cause damage to the speakers due to the fact that its not longer airtight. is this correct?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ported boxes?

Umm very much so.... Porting a box is not as simple as making a hole in a sealed box. If your talking about the hole for the terminal cup seal it with silicon or liquid nails, I use marine sealant adhesive 5200 but it's expensive. If your not talking about the terminal cup what the heck are you doing?

EDIT: Also if you don't like the way they sound in a sealed you don't have a good enough of an amp. Type R's are punchy subs and like a sealed box and have good SQ. Putting them in a ported box isn't going to help.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 PM

the amp i'm using is a rockford fosgate P1000-1bd1000 Watt Class-bd Mono Amplifier powering both, i figured that would be enough. of course the gain is down all the way at the moment due to me breaking in the subs

Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM

Ok, but what was your first question? What two inch holes are you talking about? You didn't just cut out a 2 inch hole in a sealed box did you? Or are you asking if a ported box will damage a driver? If so, a ported box can damage a driver. If you play anything below what the box is tuned for, say a ported box tuned a 40hz, the driver will be damaged if you play anything below 40hz. Most boxes are tuned around 35hz and 40hz is very very low bass, very rare in music even rap. Or if the box is leaking you can damage the driver with enough power, or if it's a bad leak.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM

okay i'll be a little more descriptive sorry for my vagueness.

i'm not entirely digging the sound coming out of the subs.
i've got the rockford fosgate 1000w amp powering both amps. the gain was turned all the way down by the installers because he said it would help break them in and for me not to pop the subs.

my initial question was if i were to drill holes would that give me a ported box, but you guys answered that. i know theres a good month of break in time for the type r's and that could possibly be the culprit of the bass not being to me liking? i do of course still have my factory HU installed with line out converters etc. i am yet to upgrade my battery to a yellowtop

i listen to many various assortments of music rock, alternative, some rap like kanye west and alot of electronic stuff like justice.

i'm afraid i'm severly underpowering my amps.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Until the sub breaks in and softens up it's not going to perform at it's best. It can sound muddy and not be as loud for at least 10 hours. If you don't like the way it sounds, it's the 10"s not the box. 10"s are very tight, crisp and accurate subs, without much boom. 12"s still have accuracy with an added boom, but don't sound as clean. I know that a single 12" CVX running off that amp will be louder than two 10"s. But won't have the accuracy of a 10". Two drivers running of X amount of power is less efficient than one driver running of X amount of power.

What gauge wires do you have going to your amps? Make sure all the connections are solid and have no play in them at all, I don't trust these install shops.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 PM

call me whatever but had best buy install it due to me being an employee. it was rockford fosgate 4awg wire. its damn thick so it couldn't be that. i'd put it this way, some song sound very clean, others sound muddy like you said. i did just have these installed last tuesday. i'm going to assume they're just not broken in

Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Then your not severely under powering your amps. Your alt can keep up with that amp, and the stock battery will take it if it's not dieing. It would be optimal to upgrade your battery but your not going to see a huge difference . A yellowtop or AGM type battery will let your amps draw every amp they need, but your not under powering your amp by running the stock battery. You may be welcomed with a dead stock battery one day though.

Also your not running both amps off one 4awg right? If you are you should run the 200w on a separate 8awg. I would have gone with a 2awg for the 1000w, but a 4awg will be sufficient.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM

yeah for the 200watt amp its a much thinner rockford fosgate wire. i actaully had my battery die after i was showing a friend with the car running. went inside for a bit and came back out tried to start the car and it was died on me. not so cool ha i do have some pretty bad dimming though

Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Sounds like your battery is on it's way out. I would replace it before your get stranded somewhere.

Quick Reply: ported boxes?