Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ported boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Default RE: ported boxes?

and as far as noise on the speakers goes, could that have to do with the gain on the line out converter for my factory stereo or were the guys at best buy just lazy and didn't want to find the real problem?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

They were lazy and did not install it correctly then lied to you, exactly why I don't like install shops. The RCA's are passed to the trunk on the same side as the power isn't it? That's wrong, and the reason you have alt whine.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:23 PM

x2. Best Buy installed my RCA and power right next to each other... thankfully I didnt have and speaker noise.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Just about any shop does that, unless I guess you tell them you know what's up. Not even just that the prices are ridiculous.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 AM

as far as i know the sound is down the right and the power is down the left, or at least thats what he told me he said incase anyone ever asks. so i don't think that oculd be the problem

Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM

Did you check and make sure? At least look in the trunk and make sure they are coming from different sides. You can also pop up the door sill panel and check also. If they aren't passed near each other, then check other locations and make sure they are far from each other. You also could have a bad ground in the trunk, which would cause alt wine and also cause your amp to not get all the power it needs. Go to the trunk and look and see where the ground wire goes, and make sure where it connects to the car's body there is no paint at the point of contact and it's solid. If there is paint grab some sandpaper and sand off the paint and reconnect the ground.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:36 PM

my main concern is not getting the loudness from the speakers i should be. the sub which is turned all the way down on the amp overpowers them 60% of the time. yeah its definitely coming from different sides. how would i be able to tell its a ground wire, i assume it would just be attached to the car somewhere in the trunk?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Yes the ground is the black or clear wire coming from the amp and goes to metal somewhere in the car. If the gorund they used has paint or is isolated from the body you won't have a good ground. A bad ground will not let your amps get the power they need and will cause alternator whine. If there is no paint make sure there is no resistance between the ground they are using and a known good ground (unpainted metal).

Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM

You refer to your sub amp as 1000Watts. Is the 4 channel also 200W max ..... or about 4x25W RMS? Trying to balance with 500W RMS of sub power? If this is the case, than I think that your 4 channel is not only too little power to balance with the subs, but also not really enough power to make the kappas sound right.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Yeah I have to agree with that as well. I have a 250 watt amp just for my rear's. A Bigger amp will defianlty bring those kappas to life.

Quick Reply: ported boxes?