Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Is this radio compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Is this radio compatible?

Hey there, my stock radio recently went out and I'm investing in a new head unit. I just want something that will play via aux with good sound quality, and based on the reviews and price of this unit it seems quite promising for what I'm looking for.

My question is, will this unit be completely compatible with my 2005 honda accord LX?

Pioneer DEH-150MP (DEH150MP) CD/MP3/WMA Car Stereo w/ AUX Input & Remote

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

compatible? yes.
but getting it mounted is the challenge. you have two options.
1. lower dash pocket mounting kit.
2. factory radio and climate control mounting kit.

#2 option is expensive.

visit metraonline.com
enter your vehicle info and view the mounting kits and wire harness (70-1721) available. you can even download the install instructions for free.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the information, as I was getting a bit worried on my way to class this morning when I thought about how I would possibly mount the aftermarket HU into the stock face plate.

I just want to be completely sure - these are the only two parts I will need, correct?
Metra Part # 99-7862 | Honda Accord Dash kit | Metra Online
Metra Part # 70-1721 | Honda wire harness | Acura wire harness | Metra Online

Also, I am tech-savvy and good with electronics - sub-par with cars, but I can follow instructions and 'find my way' when things get a bit foggy.. Is this something you think I can do on my own?

Thanks again!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

yep, just those and the associated tools and connectors. i recommend soldering the wire connections and protecting with heat shrink. otherwise, using nylon crimp caps and a crimper is acceptable.

just follow the instructions, it's fairly easy.
http://metraonline.com/files/products/INST99-7862.pdf
you can read the instructions first ahead of time.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks again for all your information - you've been a huge help.

I don't own a cable soldering tool of any kind, I searched google for some and was wondering how powerful of a tool I needed? They are relatively cheap - a 30-watt runs ~ $9, and a 180-watt runs ~ $14.99.

EDIT: By the way, how am I supposed to order these parts from Metra Online? It seems to be a dealer-only outlet for products (I'm assuming dealers who buy in bulk). Am I supposed to get it through them, or find these parts elsewhere?

Once I know the soldering tool to be used, I will order all the parts and soon be back to jammin' while I ride, hopefully!

Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

either iron will work. the 15 dollar one will get hotter quicker and make it easier. you arent soldering on any pcb boards or anything so it doesnt matter too much. Just find the part you need on metra's website and then google the part number. you will be bombarded with places to buy it.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by neophyte
either iron will work. the 15 dollar one will get hotter quicker and make it easier. you arent soldering on any pcb boards or anything so it doesnt matter too much. Just find the part you need on metra's website and then google the part number. you will be bombarded with places to buy it.
Thanks a lot, you guys have been a huge help!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey guys, so the parts are all in and I'm in the process of installing the head unit. I am confused as to what to do with the wires..

I have the wire harness from the factory radio unplugged. I'm confused as to how I am supposed to connect the wires to the wiring-housing (the object which physically plugs into the device) - the ones which the factory have plugged in contain metal crimps to, I assume, assure it stays in place & conducts electricity. I don't have any of these - am I supposed to? (Butt Splice connectors I believe they're called?)

Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

the aftermarket head unit harness will have the same wire colors. for reference, here is the chart

the factory radio will get power and other necessary functions. the new head unit will use the extra wires for power, ground, and speaker connections.

you will need to either solder/heat shrink the connections or use crimp connectors and a crimper. auto parts stores sell them, as does radio shack.

Attached Thumbnails Is this radio compatible?-headunitwh.jpg  

Quick Reply: Is this radio compatible?