Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sound!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Default Sound!!

Got my new sound setup. Did not end up getting any of my friends equipment, instead i bought my own from Circuit City. The guy from Circuit City told me tht he wanted to hear it after it got installed, he looked pretty excited, so it got my hyped up.

I purchased a Panasonic cd player.
And PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=66" >MTX 12" Subswith an Amp as a special offer.

Installation was long, but free. Im pretty happy with the way it sounds. My friends told me to make the subs face the inside of the car, so it sounds louder in the car, but i dont want to mess with any of the wiring, too scared to mess it up. Also lowering the back seat. I tried doing tht, but it didnt make much of a diffrence.

If i get picky, theres a small rattle in the trunk door, maybe becuz of the license plate or something in the door. Havent figured out how to fix it or where it comes from. But im sure theres usually alwayz a rattle.
Anyone got any ideas?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Default RE: Sound!!

PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=66" >http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...;cm_keycode=66

Thts the link for the subs. Im sure it will be edited, just trying to make it easier.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:45 PM

sub turned inside of car does make it louder for spl reasons, pending on your box ifported u should hearbetter results with seat down. if your plates rattle dynamat make license plate kits to stop, for trunk rattle look intodynamat,edead,sound destroyed,fatmat, expanding foam............and so on they are very helpful in reducing rattle.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:58 PM

im not sure if its the actual plate or something else. i took off the plate and the rattle was still there, but i think the plate adds to it.
if its ported it means tht its screwed or w/e onto the trunk? Cuz its not, i can move it around, but the cables dnt seem to be able to, i dont want to pull on them too hard.
i may look into adding the foam, but the rattle just isnt tht annoying, u cud only notice it if ur standing behind the car with the volume wayup and the trunk closed.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Subs facing inside the car doesnt always mean louder. If your subs are in the trunk and you put them in the front most part of the trunk facing into the cabin, the back waves will bounce off the rear of the trunk and back into the cabin but since theyll be out of phase with the front wave, theyll cancel out a ton of your bass. This is why opening the trunk will increase your bass. The back wave will escape out of the open trunk and wont bounce back into the cabin so you get the full effect of your sub. If you build an airtight baffle so that the front of the cones are sealed off the the back of the trunk, this will stop this.

Now putting the subs in the very back of the trunk and firing into the cabin wont have this problem as much as there wont be much distance behind the subs.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:53 PM

But turning them to face the cabin, and lowering the back seat will make all waves travel forward. Or am i wrong?

Mac, are you saying pushing the subs against the back seat facing outward, or the back of the subs on the trunk door facing inward?

Is there a thread to perfect combinations of Treble/Bass, Sub level, LPF, and HPF?
I have messed with them, but havent really found one tht sounds just perfect.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Sub frequencies are omnidirectional. They go everywhere. When the sub fires, it also fires a wave going back. The front wave will go straight into the cabin. The back wave will go to the back of the trunk and will bounce off the back of the trunk and reflect back into the cabin. But since its a split second behind the front wave, itll be out of phase and will cancel out a lot of the output. By building an airtight seal between the front of the subs and the back, you minimize the amount of back wave that can get into the cabin and interfere with the front wave. Best way to imagine it would be to imagine cutting a hole in your rear seat and mounting your sub in this. This way the front of the cone is totally sealed off from the back of the cone.

There is not set way to tune a car. Ever car is different and will sound different depending on the stuff inside the car, the speakers, the amount of power youre using and so on. Its a time consuming process and a lot of trial and error. Put it this way, I have an Alpine processor with 180 bands of EQ, 8 channel crossovers and 8 channel time alignment and its taken my 6 months just to get to the point where Im starting to get it dialed in! LOL

Old 06-17-2007, 10:09 PM

Yeah my setup does not sound bad at all, just thought there would be an optimum setting, but i wasnt too reluctant in finding any perfect set of numbers. It also depends on how you want it to sound and the music u r thumping to in ur car.