Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

soundgate HONAUX4 on 2003 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 PM
guiswim
Unregistered
Default soundgate HONAUX4 on 2003 Accord

I bought a Soundgate HONAUX4 for my 2003 accord. My accord has a 6-CD in-dash, but does NOT have XM or a nav system. In the instructions for the install, it says to unplug the cable from the back of the factory head unit and plug it into the female plug on the HONAUX4. Then, plug the male plug of the HONAUX4 into that open socket... the only problem is that there was no cable plugged into that input. The input was open, and when I plugged the male cable from the HONAUX4 into it, and turned on my radio, I couldn't access the mode that would be the AUX in. The CD/AUX button doesn't switch between CD and AUX modes, it only stays on CD. I tried resetting the memory in the radio, and restarting it with the HONAUX4 attached, and that didn't work. I tried switching the mode with my steering wheel MODE button, and it cycled between FM-1, FM-2, AM, and CD.

How do I get my radio to switch into AUX mode?

The HONAUX4 has two emulation modes - one to replace the factory nav, and one to emulate an additional CD changer, but neither seem to work. Am I missing something?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: soundgate HONAUX4 on 2003 Accord

No your not missing anything, the unit is probably faulty. When connected and working it should switch between CD and AUX when you press the AUX/CD button.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 AM

I have a 2004 accord 6 disk changer, XM. I got the "Peripheral Electronics" Adapter for my IPod that plugs into the xm port. If you have a port then it should work. Is there any jumper switches on the unit. Do you have a solid connection, because it is kind of hard to plug it in from the back, unless you rip the hole radion/cd-changer unit out.

Also try to contact the tech support person @ Soundgate, they should be able to help you out.

What is this sound gate for? Ipod (controls the ipod through factory stereo)? or just regular Aux?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM
guiswim
Unregistered

it's just an aux in. When there's no aux unit plugged in, should I still be able to switch to aux mode? Because I can't...

nponer, you mentioned plugging it in from the back of the head unit, but the open plug is on the bottom... am I plugging this in to the wrong place? I didn't see any other place to plug it in though... When I plugged the male cable into the head unit, there was no click or anything, it just kinda wouldn't go in any more. Should there be a click, or some obvious "CONNECTED" noise or something?

I tried emailing the support at soundgate - they claim the email address is support@soundgate.com but that address gets kicked back to my inbox.

t00fatt, by "unit," do you mean the soundgate unit or the honda head unit?
Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  91.2 KB

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM

Does the plug fit? if it does then it is right, but what I am thinking right now is that since there was nothing plugged in to that port, how is it getting power? is your sound gate powering up?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Yeah, mine clicked when it was back in place....there is also a little lock on the male connector that pops up when it is all the way in. Check the specs on the sound gate, you sure it is for your car/year? Cuz 03 is very diff from 04. Is there diff. wire set in the kit?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 AM

SNHOND3 this is the part number I found on the other forum for you car, 2003 Accord, double check, you prob have the wrong unit/ wire set.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The adapter is either incompatible or broken, that is the correct place to plug it in on the bottom of the radio. Make sure your adapter is compatible with an 03, the adapters don't work with all 7th gens.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:11 PM
guiswim
Unregistered

On the Soundgate website, it claims the HONAUX4 works with all 2003-2009 Accords... Logjam electronics (where I bought it from) also says the same thing...

http://soundgate.com/upload//productdocuments/0061.pdf

It does fit into the socket, it's the right plug...
what does the soundgate do when it powers up? There's no kind of audible "on" signal or anything when I turn my radio on...

Old 01-16-2009, 01:25 PM

Is there a status light? Use a volt meter if you have one, you have to get to the bottom of this somehow.

Quick Reply: soundgate HONAUX4 on 2003 Accord