Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Default speaker question

what's up guys. I'm looking into buying some speakers for the Accord. The Accord speakers are surprisingly good. The bass is really deep, and the mids and highs sound good too.

The bass in my rear speakers are blown, so I'm trying to figure out what speakers I can get that'll give me the same or better quality than the factory speakers. So far I've considered buying these:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A69.../dp/B000LY8DCW

I'm just a little concerned the price of the speakers reflects how good they are. But if they give me the same quality of my factory speakers I'll buy them.

Any input or advice is welcome. I'm looking to spend less than $100 on a pair

Thanks,
Nate

Old 10-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: speaker question

I'm assuming that you have the factory radio ..... the speakers handle a bit too much power for you. 40W-RMS is a good match too a real small amp or an aftermarket head unit. They are decent cheap speakers ... I had a pair of similar ones that handled 100W-RMS on a Phoenix Gold 75x4W-RMS amp and they sounded good enough for rear fill .... I'd give them a 7 out of 10 for the range they are in, but aftermarket speakers are made differently than OEM's.

Aftermarket speakers are midrange and tweeters where OEM's are true full-range, but real cheap. The amp in the OEM radio changes the EQ curves as you increase the volume, so you can have deep rich bass at low volumes, but when you turn up the volume the bass drops out so the speaker can go louder without blowing out. The aftermarket speaker won't go as deep as the OEM because aftermarket assumes subs for the most part; they will however sound better at all frequencies that it plays .... 90-95% of the OEM low range, aftermarket range is much higher.

You should look for speakers with RMS of about 25W. Your radio most likely is less than 15W-RMS.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Honesty if you think the stock speakers sound at all good just get the cheapest speakers you can find. Just look for low power rating and at least 90db sensitivity rating. I've explained this in more detail far too many times to repeat myself again. Just look through the first couple pages here and you will have more than enough info. Since you think the stock speakers sound good, your going to think everything does so don't stress too hard on speaker selection. Just don't happen to hear a pair of quality speakers or that will forever be ruined for you.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 PM

So I've decided on getting a pair of Infinity Kappa 693.9i 3 way speakers. I figured might as well spend a couple more bucks do get some Kappas over references

A couple more questions I have for you guys. Is ebay a reliable source for buying speakers? They're a lot cheaper than buying from crutchfield, bestbuy, etc. These guys got a really good rating, so I think I can trust them . And how much would it cost to get these installed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-KAPPA-6...d=p3286.c0.m14

Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 PM

eBay is good but you won't be getting any manufacturers warranty. Also, those three ways aren't really three ways. A true three way has a woofer, mid bass, and a tweeter. Not a woofer, a tweeter, and a "super" tweeter. Super tweeters are merely a sales gimmick. Those speakers are OK, but still not high quality gear. I don't know how much it will cost to get installed, but be sure they will try and rip you off. Speakers are really easy to install, especially rears. I would recommend doing some reading on here and give installing them you self a shot.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 AM

so does that mean it won't have any good mids?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 AM

No there will still be mids, and bass. But when you turn the bass up the sound we get distorted. With a true three way (that has a crossover) you can have the bass up and it won't distort. True 3 ways are very expenive and difficult to install so don't start looking for three ways. Since I have a sub I have my speakers crossed at 80hz they don't get too much bass, but they still pound the mid bass. At the price range your looking at your not going to see a huge differnace in sound quality. But if you spent jsut a little more you can really get some amazing speakers. My JLs were only $180 a pair if I remember correctly, and I love them more than any speaker I've heard. But I haven't heard any JL C5s so that may change one day...

EDIT: Oh and infinities or any speaker with a titanium tweeter is going to be a little harsh at high volume. If you don't know what harsh means, its like almost a screeching distortion sound in your ear from the high frequencies. My silk tweets are just as bright and loud but never any have harshness at all. So I recommend you go to a big car audio place, and listen to different speakers. Some proplr don't seem to notice any harshness from titaniums, but the majortiy of people do.