Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Suggestion for MP3 player hookup to 05 Accord

Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Suggestion for MP3 player hookup to 05 Accord

If you don't want to lose your XM your going to have to get a direct connection FM transmitter. I've never heard one, but people here (falkore I believe) says they sound good and nothing at all like an over the air transmitter. It basically connects directly to the antenna. If you are ok with losing the XM then you have many more options. The only AUX port on the headunit is used by the XM if installed. So you would have to lose XM to do what you want. I really recommend replacing the OEM headunit, the audio quality is horrible and has no power and I had the "premium" audio system.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 AM

The wired transmitter I had was for SIRIUS, but I believe there are similar units out there for MP3 players .... it would have to take a battery though because it needs a tiny bit of power to interrupt the antenna radio signal. Mine got the power from the sat sattelite radio.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM

It's really quite easy to install a new radio. You just have to buy a $150 kit to even be able to install a radio in your car. The HVAC controls are built into the stock radio, so the kit is expensive because it has HVAC controls built in. I really recommend doing it though, you will get an extreme increase in sound quality. I replaced my stock headunit after only 3 months of having the car. I couldn't stand the AUX interface because the sound was marginally lower than then the CD player audio, which wasn't loud enough to begin with. To wire the radio all you need is an adapter for your car, which will plug into the plug that goes to the stock radio. This adapter has wires, already stripped and marked. So all you have to do is match the wires from the new radio to the wires on the harness adapter, it's really quite simple. What is important is making sure you have a soild connection, I like to solder and heatshrink the wires. But you can use crimp-ons you just need to make sure there are tight, and don't use pliers to crimp them as I've seen people try to do.