Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Speaker upgrade options 93 Accord Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Speaker upgrade options 93 Accord Sedan

93 Accord EX Sedan. Original owner. I've never really tried to do much with the audio in my car except trying to do rear speakers years ago and never finding a 6x9 that the trunk springs didn't block the installation of. I gave up and left the factory 6x9's in there. One of the popular car audio sites pointed me directly to Infinity Kappa 692 series with a "guaranteed to fit" type promise. They did not fit. Because of where the trunk springs are on this car, the upgrade speaker needs a very shallow mounting depth or a magnet somewhat smaller than the giant magnets on Kappa type speakers. Everything seems to have that big wide magnet, though.

Anyone here dealt with a 93 Accord Sedan and know what 6x9's will fit the back deck using the existing holders; and without making any mods to the mounting surface or trunk springs? Thanks for any help.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

maybe avoid 6x9's altogether. look for some shallow mount 6.5" components and a baffle for them. do them front and rear.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. You're probably right about avoiding 6x9's. As I recall, I also tried some Pioneer ones way back when and they also couldn't get around those trunk springs. The reason the factory 6x9's fit back there is they have small magnets and are very shallow @ just 3 inches. That's also the reason they have little bass. Not a real thoughful design from Honda on 4th gen sedan to have so little clearance in the trunk to use different speakers. I'm sure, though, that in 1993 Honda wasn't thinking about Infinity Kappas with gigantic magnets.

Music is only somewhat important to me in my motoring, so I've kept the audio pretty stock in the car. Haven't run any other wires and stuff like that. I actually like the stock look, too. What I'm hoping to do is find a slightly better HU (still stock) and some speakers with a little more punch. I've heard that some of the nicer mid to late 1990's Acura radios will fit my dash with no modifications. That will also let me step up from cassette (lol) to CD. It would also be cool to find one of those little Honda EQ's to mount in place of the little plastic box that is under the radio. That might let me squeeze a little more pleasing sound out of whatever cheap speakers I end up with.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

i understand the desire to keep things clean and simple. i still strongly recommend components up front, but it's your car and your project.

you can find plenty of 6.5's that are under 2.5" in depth - even Infinity.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'll consider that. I'm reading up on component speakers now. I am so tempted to begin the 6x9 speaker search for the rear deck again but although its been about 6 years the frustration is still fresh. Unless its a speaker at a shop that I put in the pod and can take outside and mock in there to test fit, I'm just not going to order any. The so-called "fit guides" are only about what the cars existing pods can handle. Consideration of things like where Honda put the trunk springs are not required. Therefore, many 6x9s claim to be a direct fit for my car. That's true if I want to cut or remove those assist springs and lift a heavy trunk every time I go to open it, or try to put in some kind of lift system that you bolt on and hope for the best. Anyway, enough ranting about it. Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

the trunk torsion bars are a PITA and have been for decades. I see cars without them and think - wow, that'd be nice.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The bar on the drivers side is right in the way of mounting a speaker that mounts any deeper than about 2.9 inches. I took one of the deck pods out today and find that the hole on the pod that the little 6x9s sit in can probably not hold a 6.5 inch round speaker without cutting the pvc material inside and drilling some new holes in it. It can hold a 6 inch speaker with appropriate depth without cutting anything. Of course the grille is angled so one side of it sits almost on top of the speaker mounted in the pod, so the mount height of the upgrade speaker also has to be very shallow. Six inch speakers don't seem to exist so cutting is the only option.

The front doors are also weird. They have 5 inch speakers in them. Try to find those. Door panel has to come off to check the mounting depth and I didn't even want to bother. I do remember reading that there is very little space in there. Some people are riding around listening to sweet sounds with windows that cannot be rolled all the way down.

I now know why even thinking about revisiting speaker upgrade in this car gave me a sinking feeling. It truly might be the Honda Accord with the least flexibility for audio upgrades of all Accords ever designed.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
the trunk torsion bars are a PITA and have been for decades. I see cars without them and think - wow, that'd be nice.

I once thought about removing them, but I need access to the trunk so often that I don't even want to to think about trying to open and close it without their assistance.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

the entire factory speaker mount is removed. a new speaker mount is to be made from wood that is made water proof. the new wood mount can accommodate any speaker diameter that is equal to or less than the diameter of the opening in the car metal.

additional depth can be gained with the thickness of the wood baffle - up to a point where the new speaker meets the factory speaker grill.

foam (closed cell or open cell weatherstripping) is used between the wood baffle and metal door. it is also used between the speaker and the factory speaker grill. notice that factory speakers have a foam ring around them to seal to the factory grill - that seal is important to maintain.

you can buy plastic speaker adapters that convert a 6x9 to a 6.5" or 6". I don't like plastic, but it will work with some foam added for seals.

there are plenty of shallow mount speakers on the market for 5.25", 6", and 6.5" speakers. The concern with coaxial thin speakers is that the tweeter will stick out and can cause issues with the factory grill. a component set lets you relocate the tweeter where it will do the most good and where it won't interfere.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. That's something to keep in mind if all else fails.

I found the Polk DB651s 6½ inch with bottom mounting depth of 2.31 inches and Top mount depth of 2 inches but I think that includes the grille with is 1.13 inches high. Take that off and that should leave 0.87 of an inch for the just the speaker. Wish a little plastic shaved off here and there I could get the grille screwed down on there. The bottom depth does not get involved with the torsion bars. I need to contact Polk and make sure the 2 inch top mount height includes the Polk grille. Pretty sure it does. The pictures tell a lot.

Still yet to find back boxes made for 6½ to replace mine that are made for 6x9. Found some tan ones at junkyard - cheap, but holding off to try another junkyard for some black ones. If not I'll get the tan ones take them apart sand them lightly and put 3 or 4 light coats of semi-gloss black spray paint on them and let it cure for a few days. Measured every way possible trying to think how I could rig a 6½ into the existing boxes but it can't be done. Honda was very effective in making sure it distinguished is EX line way back then. Now that turns to anguish. I have been told I can put 6½ in the front door, too, but it requires getting rid of some stuff in the door and finding some holders for 6½. Haven't taken the door panels off to have a look but I think the speakers are part of an assembly with some sort of plastic porting designed to add resonance. We shall see.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade options 93 Accord Sedan