Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sub box

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Default sub box

ive got 2 polk 10's but the box i got them in isnt so great. i dont know how well it was put together but it is also has holes in the top. ive heard that a sealed box sounds better and/or louder. does different material the box is made of make it sound better?

Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Default RE: sub box

There are a few factors that affect the sound quality of a sub in a box. Size: Each sub has it's own different requirements/ideal specifications for the size of the box. Type: Ported, Band Pass, Sealed, Shelf Port, Each one of those types suits different music a bit better (see my thoughts below). Material: Using a heavier material to prevent sound bleed etc with a good build quality is important, many sub installers will also put a small amount of insulation (fiberglass) inside the box to help baffle it a little.

Ported: Good All around setup, nice bass, doesn't draw out the note, not able to pickup fast bass as well
Use: General/I Listen to everything people
Sealed: Great for a fast bass line, crisp, consise, doesn't hit quite as hard as the others but clarity is the best
Use: Ideal for Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Punk, Techno
Band Pass: Hits hard, drawn out bass notes, the least amount of exact clarity
Use: Ideal for Rap/Urban styles
Shelf Port: One of the newest designs on the market it looks like a big open slit accross one side of the box, Good Improvment on ported
Use: General/I listen to everything, Improved ported box design

Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

HERE is a link to the different types of boxes and a description of each. HERE is a link on how to build a box if you decide to do so. I hope this helps!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:02 PM

it does thanks. ive also got a question about an amp. the subs have a 175 watt continuous power rating and a 400 watt peak rating. ive got an alpine m200 amp that doesnt have much power. they sound good but i would like something a little louder. ill start with the box first but an amp upgrade might be in the line too. if i get one, what kind of wattage should i look for

Old 08-08-2007, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: jmcmichael08

ive got 2 polk 10's but the box i got them in isnt so great. i dont know how well it was put together but it is also has holes in the top. ive heard that a sealed box sounds better and/or louder. does different material the box is made of make it sound better?
sounds like a bandpass box, it is most likely not tuned correct if it is prefab. also are they dual 2 or 4

Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member

With 2 tens i would do a sealed enclosure with each sub in its own sealed section. Also you should use 3/4" Medium Density Fiberboard when building a box. look up the specs on ur subs to find out theoptimal cubic foot for each sub. There are several factors used to determine cu ft within an enclosure. If you're gonna build one let me know and ill give you the formula...

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: jmcmichael08

it does thanks. ive also got a question about an amp. the subs have a 175 watt continuous power rating and a 400 watt peak rating. ive got an alpine m200 amp that doesnt have much power. they sound good but i would like something a little louder. ill start with the box first but an amp upgrade might be in the line too. if i get one, what kind of wattage should i look for

Just be sure that your amp puts out less power than your subs combined continuous, otherwise you could have troubles.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM

ok so dont push more than 350 watts?

Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 PM

350-400 rms

Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Sealed boxes are the best overall. They sound the best, have very good output and are much less forgiving of design and construction flaws. When you build a ported box, if you dont build it properly to the T/S parameters of the sub and tune the port properly, it wont sound as good as if you used a sealed box. Also, ported boxes dont do the low frequency stuff well as their response rolls off quite sharply once you get below the tuned frequency.

You can build a sealed box for both subs and you dont have to divide the two boxes SO LONG AS the total interior volume is enough for both. If memory serves, those subs are spec'd at .66 ft3 each so the box should have 1.3 ft3 interior volume for both.

As for power, you can use more and so long as you dont overdrive your subs youll get better results. Your car can go 120 mph. Does that mean its going 120 mph all the time? Nope. Same with an amp. A 1000 watt amp isnt putting out 1000 watts all the time. Music is very dynamic and out of a 5 minute song, youll maybe have 5 total seconds of maximum drawand even then its doubtful. A couple second blast of 500 watts wont hurt a QUALITY MADE 175 watt sub cause itll have enough time to dissipate the heat out of the voice coil before there is any damage.

For those subs I would suggest getting something along the lines of 400-500 watts.