Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

t00fat, which subs?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default t00fat, which subs?

I already have two 12' Volfenhag subs w/ blown voice coils (they are dual voice coils) (came like that from a friend) and after suspension I am replacing them with something cheap. I want the same amount of bass or more and my amp isn't amazing so I am not really worried about blowing the subs. Both options are cheap and will fit my budget in the future. The thing is, my Volfenhags can still shake my mirrors and have lasted years.

Should I stick w/ the Volfenhags and replace them w/ the same?
Or get Kenwood W3011 12's (4 ohm single voice coil)

Its getting pushed by a Audiobahn 1,000 watt max amp. 2 channel. I forget the specs on it. Currently I have a box for 2 subs and didn't want to buy another box for just a single. Or maybe I will just cut it in half and re wrap it.

Also, what gauge wire should it be going from the subwoofer terminals, to the box, to the amp? Mine seem super thin like 14 gauge or something! After my suspension I want to clean up my sub install.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can get way more bass from a single quality sub than those two subs. That 1,000w block is probably more like a 700w block, if that. So it would be fine to run a single 12" of that block. My favorite "cheap" sub is a kicker CVX, it's only $160 to $180 last time I checked. It would like a better amp, but the amp you have would be fine. The best thing to do is to see what that amp is really putting out. To do this get a song with consistent deep bass, and check the voltage, then get the amperage coming from the amp, multiply these numbers and you will have how many watts that amps pumps out.

EDIT: Oh and I would run ATLEAST a 6awg to that amp. But I would really go for a 2awg or 4 awg.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:28 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for all the great info, as usual!

Like I said, suspension first, then this. As far as the wiring from the subs to the amp, the terminals built into my sub box only allow very small wires. I dont know what gauge but hopefully today or tomorrow I can get a picture to show you.

I've read alot of good reviews on the Kenwood sub. However, its only single voice coil. Whereas the Volfenhag is dual, is one better than the other?

Edit: Alternator, I have been having voltage spikes and drops even w/ a new battery. So I plan on getting my alternator tested out. Is there a small upgrade to the factory one? Not a super powerful one, but one with a little increase it output? If so, it would just require removing the old one and replacing it, no other steps or special things required?

Last edited by 19Accord97; 02-01-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:53 PM

I don't know anything about the alt, as I've always tried to keep my system low power so I wouldn't have to do exactly that. A friend of mine did have a pair of kenwood subs, I don't know which. They were ok, didn't get very loud but they did sound clean. I wouldn't spend any less than $150 on a sub though. I would say the CVX is one of the best built subs in that price range and sounds damn good too.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:59 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I have heard quite a few times that subs below $150ish aren't anything great and are junk.
However, my Volfenhags have made me a firm believer in them. I feel as though one of the 2 subs will be a fine option for me simply because my amplifier isn't a beast. I also usually leave the bass level on Zero but like to turn it up every once n' awhile and get bumping. I think I am going to get a new set of Volfenhags and a Volfenhag 2.0 farad cap.
I do appreciate your advice though! I just dont have the money and feel as though they will suit my needs.

Couple more questions though!
I had an Aiwa headunit that could control my bass of the preouts from -6 - +6. My Kenwood KVT-512 also has the same control from -10 - +10 but on +10 my subs don't seem to get nearly as loud as when I had my Aiwa headunit. I'll have to mess with it some more. But, for my amplifier you can buy a bass control **** that will run from the amp to the drivers seat so maybe i'll check those out.

Also, what would be the best way to extend the + wiring from my battery to my cap? I was thinking of just putting another fuse, and use the fuse holder to connect my old wiring to the new longer wiring. Sound like thats ok?

I'll try to get a pic of the back of my sub box.

And would putting Dynamat inside the box do anything? It is a generic box that you can get from any audio place like BB.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Heres my amp specs:
Audiobahn A8002T amp w/ the following specs

Sound Effects
Bass Boost

Controls
Gain

Response Bandwidth
10 - 40000 Hz

Signal-To-Noise Ratio
100 dB

Continuous Power / Channel Qty
200 Watts x 2

Input Channel Qty
2 channel(s)

Amplifier Output
2-channel

Output Channel Qty
2 channel(s)

High Level Inputs
Yes

Low Pass Frequencies
50 - 120 Hz

High Pass Frequencies
50 - 750 Hz

Bass Boost Gain
0 to +18dB

Output Power / Total
800 Watt

Distortion Factor
0.02%

Amplifier Output Details
200 Watt - 4 Ohm - 2 channel(s)
400 Watt - 2 Ohm - 2 channel(s)
800 Watt - 4 Ohm - 1 channel(s)

Pics of the back of my sub box:
It is 16 gauge wire! But it seems like that all that will fit.

Name:  DSCN2302.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  257.6 KB

Old 02-01-2009, 03:40 PM

If your alt is weak or dying adding a cap is only going to make your problem that much worse. Those terminals are fine, I have 14 gauge or 12 gauge going into my terminal cup like that.
I know you may think that volfenhang sub sounds good, but there is much better sounding bass out there. I can't even imagine how you can think they sounded good with a blown coil. Wasting the money on two lower quality subs is not as good as investing in one quality sub.

Not only that running two subs on X amount of power is not as loud as running one sub on X amount of power. If that didn't make sense let me apply it to your situation. Running any two subs off your "1000w" amp is less efficient than running one sub . Just because there are two subs doesn't mean it's louder, power has a lot more to do with it than displacement. If you want to run two subs you have to double the power, which isn't even twice as loud just louder. On top of that your running two lower quality subs which will blow and distort. Your going to spend about the same money buying two crappy subs, when you could just invest in one quality sub. I'm not saying go out an get a W7, but a W6 is also nice lol. You will actually save money, when you don't have to replace your subs in two years.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well I guess only one sub has a bad voice coil. And i'll get my alt. tested.

I know and I hear you on investing in a good quality sub but I don't really want to spend that much when I already have a system that is suiting me fine right now. *However*, I will look around and try to listen to some other somewhat cheap subs and see if it compels me to buy one.

I am debating between one or two. I like the look of two, however would like the sound of one. But one would look stupid in my opinion. Maybe I'll just hook up one sub and leave the other one for looks. idk

Now I know you are thinking I am retarded for somewhat ignoring your advice, however, here is my reasoning:
-I don't turn the bass above 0 very much @ all like I used to
-My amp cannot kill either of the subs, therefore I am not worried about them burning up
-I really dont like the look of one sub. To me it just looks out of place.
-The space between the box and the backseat is a great place to store things from Spencer's. lmao
-I have a generic box. So even a better sub might not be that much of an improvement b/c of its box.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 PM

Dude with a singe sub you can bid a tall, wide, thin box and have it all the up against the seat. I did exactly that so I could actually have a usable trunk in my car. If what the sub looks likes matters to you at all, my advice won't mean much to you. You want to save money right? Buying two lesser quality subs is wasting money period. If anything just keep that in mind, your not going to think like that forever.

EDIT: And if your running that sub on one coil you will kill it with time.

Last edited by t00fatt; 02-03-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I hate making decisions and now you are causing me doubt and controversy.
Darn you.

However, I still believe that it is not wasting money since I am not a hardcore bass user.
But to each his own. I will think about this t00fat. I will.

Yeah, that sub w/ a bad coil has been going out for a couple years. Barely moves, but the other one is fine. Maybe I'll just hook my amp up to that one. Hmmmmm......It would save me money and allow me to see how much better one sub is. I likey.

Okay, subwoofers aside. Would putting Dynamat inside the subwoofer box help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: t00fat, which subs?