Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Default tail lights

hi, i was looking for a similar post i could relate to but couldnt find anything..

i have a accord coupe 08, and last week, i tried to smoke my tail lights so i took out the back bumper and the tail lights. after smoking my lights, i put everything back together but my lights went out. all i touched on the lights was that i twisted the bulb 45degrees and took em out.

but both my breaks lights went out, and also the night lights when i turn on my head lights went out as well. BUT, if i tap the left side, my light comes on. i think it might be more electric then just the wires but im not too sure.

is there anything i could try to fix this?
thank you !

Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

sounds like a short.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

make sure you didn't loosen a harness - located in the drivers rear corner.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:18 AM

gahhh
i hope i dont have to spend too much to get it fixed...

Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

All of those lights are powered from a single harness. Inspect that harness. Also, replace the bulbs. You could have damaged the filaments during handling.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:36 PM

also just thought about this (i know i am bringing back a dead thread, nut i was bored and reading through the forum) but if you touched the lights with your bare skin to take them out you probably blew them.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Touching bulbs only causes issues after they are powered on and the oil left behind from your skin becomes a hot spot on the lamp, causing premature failure. That processs takes time to develop. This is mostly for high wattage headlamp bulbs. This is why people say not to touch them.

Automotive bulbs are pretty durable.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 AM

I blew a bulb on my truck tailight. I put it in with my bare fingers and then touched the brake to check it and it blew as soon as it got power.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

incandescent bulbs fail for three reasons:
1. over voltage
2. heat
3. physical damage

just touching a lamp then powering it up won't hurt it, they aren't any different in design from the standard incandescent bulbs in your house. i put in all taillights and signal bulbs with bare fingers, always have. i may wipe them off after to ensure no oils are left behind. the only bulbs i use a rag to insert are headlight bulbs.

in your case, it was coincidence and the bulb likely bad or the filament connection wasn't 100%.

certainly, you are playing it safe using a rag to insert bulbs, and there is nothing wrong with that. clean bulbs are happy bulbs.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 PM

it was also the only bulb i have ever seen explode. ever since then i have made a conscience effort not to touch bulbs. but that is good to know that it was just a coincidence. now i wont worry about being so careful

Quick Reply: tail lights