Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Terrible "premium audio" 360 watts

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Angry Terrible "premium audio" 360 watts

I'm new in forum, so let me say HI to every body.
I have just bought a Accord 2013 Coupe EX-L V6 NAVI trim, including a "premium audio" 360 W. and what a terrible surprise with radio audio quality, EX-L NAVI trim is the best trim level Honda offer, and deplorable sound is what I get, I'm not pretending have a "disco sound" in my car but at least nice and enjoyable real sound.
Car from factory is comming with subwoofer .
I would like know some other users experiences with 2013 models, and most important. IS POSSIBLE TO IMPROBE SOUND QUALITY ??? and how.
Thanks in advance for your support.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

everybody seems to be having this problem. I was told I was wrong when I said that the best way to improve the sound quality is to redo the sound system.

my outlook is you got what you got. it sux that its bad, but if you want to improve it, I feel you would be looking at an aftermarket stereo.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Red face Replace all audio syst.

Originally Posted by neophyte
everybody seems to be having this problem. I was told I was wrong when I said that the best way to improve the sound quality is to redo the sound system.

my outlook is you got what you got. it sux that its bad, but if you want to improve it, I feel you would be looking at an aftermarket stereo.

THKS your post. I can't immagine how replace complete audio syst. and same time KEEP THE ORIGINAL HONDA DISPLAY. do you have any idea radio brand to do this possible?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM

you would have to use a loc and a eq. leave the factory deck. control the amps with the eq.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Smile Terrible honda sound

you would have to use a loc and a eq. leave the factory deck. control the amps with the eq.
The neophyte it's me, you are sound real expert , I'll appreciate very much if you explain me (step by step if you don't mind) how to do this, I don't know what's loc meaning, eq. I supousse means equalizer, Yes I would like leave factory deck, but you means install second radio (amplifier and tuner) brand? model? any help will be VERY appreciate. if you want write to my e-mail
sciandra727@gmail.com

Thanks again

Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Default My Solution

Hi,

I posted this in another thread. I am a quality of sound guy vs. blowing the doors off kid, so this is what I did.

The Problem: The factory amp is only a 198 watt Pioneer located by the glovebox and the speakers are by Foster, a company that makes generic speakers. The unit does not have enough power to drive everything accurately. In addition, the reason the tweeters sound good is that they are crossed over at the amp...however...the door speakers with the mids are not crossed over...this causes the muddy sound for the mids and lack of base. The stock sub is fine, just needs a good amp also.

My Solution. First you need another amp, I chose the ALpine MRX-F35 ($215 online) and you will need an amp kit (8 awg Rockford Fosgate $45 online) and a speed wire kit ($30 at Best Buy - probably alot cheaper online). I mounted this on the back of the rear seat in the trunk. Wires were needed to run down both sides of the car, (amp battery power on driver side and unit connections and speaker from the passenger side). If you are on a budget, you can stop here and there is a significant improvement.

Then I replaced the rear deck speakers with Inifinty 62.9 Kappas ($71 online)...Wow what a differnece...the sound field is now filled.

Installation for both was about $150 at Best Buy.

On March 8th, Infinity is releasing their new component speakers that replace their Kappa Perfect 6.1. I had these in my last car and they were incredible...I can't wait to get the new ones...I have spoken with Infinity tech support and they assure me they are worth the wait, since I liked the previous version. Should cost about $300 with installation.

Note, I listen to all kinds of music but prefer vocals and guitars, and jazz.

Don't forget to disable the ANC on the drivers side pillar.

Good Luck,

Aceiv

Last edited by ACEIV; 03-02-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM

An loc is a line out converter. you tap into the speaker wires with the loc and it converts it to rca wires. then you run the rca's to the equalizer. most equalizers will require a 12v swtiched signal (you can pull this from the headunit or the fuse box), a power (come straight from the battery, and a ground (find a good solid piece of metal in the dash, sand the paint off of it and ground there).

then you will want to run the rcas out of the eq to an amplifier. what is your budget? there are a lot of good amplifiers out there in all kinds of price ranges. also are you wanting to replace the speakers as well?

let me know about those two and we can go from there.

my build log covers some of the work involved. but we can get technical when you decide on what equipment you are getting.

Last edited by neophyte; 03-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Arrow Looking for my solution

An loc is a line out converter. you tap into the speaker wires with the loc and it converts it to rca wires. then you run the rca's to the equalizer. most equalizers will require a 12v swtiched signal (you can pull this from the headunit or the fuse box), a power (come straight from the battery, and a ground (find a good solid piece of metal in the dash, sand the paint off of it and ground there).

then you will want to run the rcas out of the eq to an amplifier. what is your budget? there are a lot of good amplifiers out there in all kinds of price ranges. also are you wanting to replace the speakers as well?

let me know about those two and we can go from there.

my build log covers some of the work involved. but we can get technical when you decide on what equipment you are getting.

OK, thks for your interest and support in find my solution.
Tha car is comming w/7 speakers incl. subw. so my common sense (if I not wrong) I think a 5 channel amplifier is better than 2/3/4/ so after searching alpine I found ALPINE PDX-V9 and KENWOOD excelon XR5S What do you think of this and your choice, If you don't like this amps. what your choice in $400-500 dlls. range. and what do you think 2/3/4 Ch. VS 5Ch. Also I would like change my speakers for better ones, they could be INFINITY perfect 6.1 6½" one pair for rear no space problem, but for front doors I will need a smaller speakers I'm not sure but think they are 5" plus all the wires.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Question Doubt 4 channel amp or 5 ch ???

Originally Posted by SCIANDRA
I'm new in forum, so let me say HI to every body.
I have just bought a Accord 2013 Coupe EX-L V6 NAVI trim, including a "premium audio" 360 W. and what a terrible surprise with radio audio quality, EX-L NAVI trim is the best trim level Honda offer, and deplorable sound is what I get, I'm not pretending have a "disco sound" in my car but at least nice and enjoyable real sound.
Car from factory is comming with subwoofer .
I would like know some other users experiences with 2013 models, and most important. IS POSSIBLE TO IMPROBE SOUND QUALITY ??? and how.
Thanks in advance for your support.

WHAT DO I NEED??? car has subw. 4 Channel AMP or 5Ch. ?????

Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 PM

5 channel would allow for a sub channel and then one channel for each speaker in the car. you could do a 4 channel and run the sub off the rear channels bridged. or you could run two amps.

I think the 5 channel is an excellent choice. and alpine makes nice amps.
infinity makes nice stuff. (infinity is harmon kardon)
alpine makes nice speakers as well.
I am really a fan of CDT speakers but they can get a bit pricey.

Quick Reply: Terrible "premium audio" 360 watts