Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   TOO MANY SPEAKERS? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/too-many-speakers-15518/)

leviathann 01-19-2008 02:32 AM

TOO MANY SPEAKERS?

I'm thinking about adding two kick panels with 5 1/4 speakers in the front. That is, in addition to the two speakers I already have in the doors. With 4 speakers in the front, will it sound weird or will I get a good sound?

FlikDaBean 01-19-2008 07:10 PM

RE: TOO MANY SPEAKERS?

It wouldn't hurt toadd kick panelsfor more of asound stage. However I wouldn't leave the factory speakers in there. If you are planning to just add a set of components then you may want to use thoseand replace the factory and use their respected crossovers.I am doing something similar in my cartomorrow.I'm removingthefactory speakers and doing a 3-way setup. Adding kicks with 5 1/4" components in them and installing 6 1/5" midbass in the doors. Not using rears at all. Just sub in the trunk.

leviathann 01-19-2008 10:07 PM

What do you mean by midbass? Sorry, I'm not too smart when it comes to electronics. I just got a pair of jl 2 way speakers for the ddors and I'm planning to get some 5 1/4 for the kick panels. Please keep me updated with your progress.

By the way...Do I need a special adapter for the aftermarket speakers in the doors? I heard accords work with a clip system for the speakers.

I hope to hear from you....Thanks a lot

ChrisC76 01-20-2008 02:20 AM

I too have a similar setup like Filk.

If you were to breakdown all the speakers by the spectrum of frequencies that they play it would be like this: Tweeters, midrange, midbass, woofer(comonnly called a subwoofer). This of course is when what is called a three way component set and subsare utilized. These are all seperate speakers and when purchased as a component set come with a passive crossover that splits the full range signal up into the specified sections of your highs(tweeters) midrange(usually a 4" driver) and the midbass(usaually a 5.25 or 6.5 driver). Whena two way component set is used there is no midrange and so the 5.25 or 6.5 driver is used to cover those frequencies. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you anymore than you might already be.

When you say 2 way speakers, I am going to assume you have a component set? I'm also going to ask this and you need to be realistic in your answer of this : How well tuned are your ears? Meaning how well can you hear flaws in a sound system? I myself have been around car audio for fifteen years and spent three years competing in sound quality shows. I have been a judge at two shows although I really didn't want to be. I now just try to enjoy the music as much as possible without figiting whenever I hear something strange or the tiniest little rattle. I guess I should ask what other pieces there are in your system (brand name and model number or is the rest stock) and do you plan on competing (SPL or SQ). Well it seems that I have asked you more than a couple of questions and I might as well ask one more: what style of music do you listen to?

leviathann 01-20-2008 10:23 AM

Wow!! That was a lot of info. After work, I'm going home to digest everything!!!lol

Anyway, This is what I'm doing.
I have everything stock.
Ijust got... Rear speakers 6x9 pioneer TS-d690r
2 way full range 330w/80rms----freq25-32

Front Speakers (for the doors) 6 1/2 JL audio
2 way RMS 60W 4 ohm 89.5db ---freq59-22 khz
2 10" kicker subwoofers in a box and 1 amp
looking for a head unit.....

I'm not looking for competition....just a nice sound. I do not have a trained ear like you but I can tell if something is distorted.(that's about it!)

Now, I have a pair of kick panels I'm installing that hold 51/4 speakers and 2" tweeters. I still have to get the speakers.

I have a 99 accord er v6. It comes with (I think) tWo tweeters on top of the dashboard (Which I really don't want to play with unless I have to)

So.......What is your advice master? lol

ChrisC76 01-20-2008 04:47 PM

Do you have the model number of the JL 6.5?
What amp do you have pushing the 10's?
What is the model number of those kicker 10's?
Are your kick panels the Q-form brand or something else?
Is the sub box sealed, ported, or bandpass?
Was it built for these subs or is it a prebuilt box?

This is what I would do and may be a little extravegant for you let me know and I can simplify it some.
Find a head unit with 3 sets of rca's (front rear sub) and that those outputs are a high volt output (8 volt preouts would be really nice but are limited to find, 5 volt is more standard and will do well) If you want a suggestion on brand: Eclipse.

Get a set of JL 5.25 components so as to not have too much of a sound difference from the 6.5 you already have.

Get a small four channel amp to power your "front stage". The front channels will power the component set and the rear channels will power the 6.5 in the door. Something that has around 40 to 75 watts RMS at 4 ohms will do just fine. Make sure that you see the power rating at 4 ohms. Many amp manufacturers will advertise their amps power rating at 2 ohms which is nearlly double what it is at 4 ohms. Make sure the amp can run off of just the front set of inputs, most amps can.

Get a small two channel amp to run the 6x9 in the rear. Again, 40 to 50 watts per channel at 4 ohms will do just fine.

Don't go cheap on your RCA's, but you don't need to buy the most expensive set either. I use Monster Cables 401 series cables but the 301 series is what I suggest. You will need a 2 channel set to run from the headunit to the four channel amp. A two channel set to run from the head unit tothe two channel amp. And finally a two channel set to run from the head unit to the sub amp.

Lets see how you like this and we'll move on from there.

leviathann 01-20-2008 06:10 PM

You don't know how much I appreciate your advice.

Ok, The jl front speakers model are vr650-cx1
The amp I have never heard of before( I got the set up at ebay used) It is red and it says dragster on it.
The 10 subsare bandpass but to access the model I would have to open the box and see it.
I just got a head unit from one of my friends Panasonic CQ-CS410U

I don't know how I can attach pics but I will try tonight so you can see them.

As far as the amps...any inexpensive ones you can recomend? For both the "sound stage" and rear speakers?

ChrisC76 01-20-2008 10:43 PM

You are welcome, and I enjoy talking stereos with folks.

Your JL 6.5 are good.
Dragster amps are from an Italian company and are not widely distributed in the states, but don't worry until you get it hooked up and then we shall see how well it does. I do not have any hands on expierience with them so I don't really have an opinion except that I will try anything till I have a bad expierience with a certain brand then it takes alot to win me back. Is there a model number on it somewhere? There should be a wiring diagram on the bottom of it and the model number.

Your head unit is great, 5 volt preouts and it has crossovers built in as well. Downside: no ipod, or usb connections, bummer, but it plays mp3 cds so it makes it worth while still.

I'm gonna guess that you did not load the subs into this box then? Okay, take this for what it is worth : Most people do not understand how to wire up subs with multiple voicecoils and or multiple subs. I recomend you take one sub out to see two things: the model number of the sub and how it is wired. Do you know parallel and series formations of wiring up voice coils? If not I can explain it later. The model number will be the key as to what you should do. I'll give you this bit of info as to why it is so important. Kicker makes both single voice coil (SVC) and dual voice coil (DVC)subs. The voice coils come in two versions, 4 ohm and 2 ohm. If your amp is a two channel amp and we bridge the two channels together, then we better have a 4 ohm load. (Most amps can not handel a load lower than 4 ohms bridged) To get a 4 ohm load we will need two 2 ohm single voice coil subs wired in series or two 4 ohm DVC subs wired series/parallel. Not tring to get two technical yet, just attempting to give an example. Let me know if you need more of an explanation on anything.

And as far as amps go...... there are many to be found. Iuse ebay and have had mostly good luck from purchasing used amps. It will be up to you but I would try to find two amps that are from the same lineup. Like if you went Alpine I would use the MRP-F450 for the front and the MRP-T220 for the rear. This is just an example and somewhat a recomendation. I have used the F450 amp before in a ex-girfriend's car and the MRP-M450 and they were great. These amps are a few years oldso finding new ones online should have good pricing. Ebay is another good source for new amps as well. It all depends on how much you feel like spending. Stay away from the Phoenix Gold titanium series or Xtant X series, THOSE ARE MINE!!!! and I don't need anyone outbidding me again. J/K on that I'm set right now and not looking for any more amps.Back to the point:keep in mind that when you start having this much equipment, you start running out of space. Both of the amps I mentioned are small in size and so stuffing them under the seats might be an option.

leviathann 01-21-2008 08:06 PM

I'm writing some stuff down and taking some pics. Also, to my surprise they were not 10's they are 12's. I took out one of them (partially because the cables were kind of sottered on the terminals) and it says kicker comp vr 4ohms. But hopefully by tommorrow I will have some more specific info on the rest of the stuff. Thanks for your patience!!!! and HELP!!!

ChrisC76 01-21-2008 10:33 PM

Try pushing straight down on the terminal then removing the speaker wire. Kicker uses spring loaded terminals. Soldering straight to the terminals voids any warrenty by any speaker manufacturer by the way. So I hope that really isn't the case. The Comp VR series has always been DVC and since it says 4 ohm then thats the version you have. The power range is like 400 watts RMS and 800 watts peak. These are good subs, I like them and have used them often.