Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

trunk rattle and interior vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question trunk rattle and interior vibration.

i got 2 kicker comp 12s and it vibrates my trunk and sunglasses holder. i put dynamat on the trunk but the latch still rattles and i was curious if anyone could give some advice to completely eliminate the trunk rattle and is there a way to stop the sunglasses holder from rattling because it makes the system sound messed up even though its not. any advice?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

the only way that I know of to completely eliminate trunk rattle is going to be to seal the subs off to the cabin of the car.

on the sunglass holder what I did was pull that whole assembly out. I put some sound deadner between it and the roof of the car. I also found some more screws (mine only had two in it when I got the car but had 4 spots for screws.) tightened all the screws down. I still get minor rattling but nothing compared to what I was getting.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

trunk latch rattle can be reduced by wrapping a few layers of electrical tape around the loop part of the trunk latch. note that the tape will wear through and need to be replaced every couple of months. but it will quiet most of the rattle you hear.

rattles are solved by adding thin layers of fabric (felt or fleece) or foam weatherstripping between the two parts. something soft between the hard pieces. materials are cheap, but installation is time consuming (but well worth it!).

deadener that has an aluminum layer may not solve vibrations and deadener on interior pieces will leave a sticky residue.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
deadener that has an aluminum layer may not solve vibrations and deadener on interior pieces will leave a sticky residue.
good to know. this may be why I have a small rattle still. as far as the residue goes it is in a place that will never be seen.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

yea, covering the deadener with something soft is the way to go. you can buy 1/8" closed cell foam sheets with adhesive backing (Ensolite) or even cheaper is just using felt and spray glue (super 77). even the decorative panels in the trunk have a hard plastic backing. i added felt to the back of mine to silence them.

i started by gluing the felt to the back of the panel pieces (these were trimmed due to my trunk modifications) then i trimmed the felt to the panel contour.
Name:  accordtrunkprogress052008012.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  accordtrunkprogress052008014.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  30.6 KB