Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Tweeter and DVD Player Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Tweeter and DVD Player Questions

Ok, so I have 2 A/V questions regarding a 1990 Accord Coupe.

1) I'm looking at getting Component speakers for the front of my Coupe, (already have a decent set of Coaxials in the rear, but if suggested I might be persuaded to go with Comps in the rear too, what do you think?) and I'm wondering what the best place is to put the tweeters.

I've found many things suggesting different places. Near the woofer on the Door Panel, on the Sail Panels opposite the mirrors, higher up on the door panels, or in the Kick Panels or on the Dash.

So what IS the best place to put them, and is the best angle to face them toward the Driver's ears or to the dead center of the car. I'm a newbie in terms of sound imaging?

2) I'm wondering what the best in-dash DVD player is for the money. I'm on a tight budget and I'm upgrading things piece by piece. After I put in the components and amp everything up (already have the amp) I want to upgrade to an in-dash DVD player (preferably touch screen). So I see a lot out there, but what is the best on a budget?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

best location for tweeters depends on several factors
1. tweeter performance on/off axis
2. tweeter/woofer crossover point
3. tweeter material, frequency response
4. vehicle orientation and construction

the easiest way to find the best location is to get some velcro strips and play with mounting locations. put the soft side on the various locations in the car you want to test. put the hook side on the back of the tweeter with enough wire slack to reach all locations. then test - listen to each location and take notes as to your favorite using a well recorded CD - something from the late 80's or early 90's is usually very well recorded.

as for rear speakers, the front passengers don't want tweeters behind them. but rear passengers like tweeters (though not behind them). i think it could be worth the effort to locate tweeters high on the rear doors, aimed back, that are controlled by a switch so you can turn them off when it's just front passengers.

i wouldn't spend less than $600 on an in-dash DVD touch screen. Anything cheaper is a POS. Crutchfield had a killer sale on Alpine IVA-W203, and you can find them used for under $400. On a budget, your best bet is used, something that retailed for around a grand and was sold on Crutchfield (where you can look up specs and accessories). JVC makes the least expensive in-dash DVD with decent quality. I think Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, Eclipse, etc. make the nicer in-dash double-din touch screen units. I like Alpine IVA-W200, W203, W205, etc.