Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Vtec Lights Install

Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Default Vtec Lights Install

Soon I will be installing some lights that will light up when my Vtec kicks in. I do lots of racing on friday nights in my city and I want something cool that makes my car stand out. I am going to put white lights in my grill area and under the bumper. When I launch from a stop light and hit 3500 rpm the front of my car will light up when you can hear that cold air intake get throaty. I love hearing the sound of my Vtec kick in and the feel of the boost in horsepower. Now i want a visual notification of its presence.

First off I have a relay that I will have hooked to the positive wire on the Vtec solenoid. When the relay switches it will energize my circuit with my LED light strips I bought on Ebay at 24 48 96 120cm LED Strip Car Motorcycle Flexible Grill Light Lamp PVC Waterproof | eBay.

I have not installed any circutry yet but i have a potentiometer to adjust brightness and to limit current to my lights. I have an inline fuse holder and a 3way switch to turn them off completely, have them work with the vtec, or enable them so i can make sure they work lol. This project shouldnt take long but its going to be awesome

Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

cool idea. you want to make sure the additional current for the relay coil doesn't affect the ECM that controls the VTEC solenoid. using a NPN transistor to further isolate the relay coil from the ECM would have been my approach.

like this

Attached Thumbnails Vtec Lights Install-image026.png  
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Default Questions

Ya I realized that there is a blowback voltage from the coil as it deenergizes and that I would very much not like that in my Solenoid circuit. I bought a transistor and resistor to make the circuit kind of like the one you showed. I also realized I will need the DIODE you showed. Im guessing this kind of wipes out this current from the coil. Do you have any idea what kind of diode I shoud use

Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SLIPKANOT View Post
Ya I realized that there is a blowback voltage from the coil as it deenergizes and that I would very much not like that in my Solenoid circuit. I bought a transistor and resistor to make the circuit kind of like the one you showed. I also realized I will need the DIODE you showed. Im guessing this kind of wipes out this current from the coil. Do you have any idea what kind of diode I shoud use
the diode gives a path for the coil current to go when de-energizing.

a 1N4002 is sufficient and a pack is a dollar.