General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord F23A5 SOHC non-vtec cam install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Question 99 Accord F23A5 SOHC non-vtec cam install

Had head resurfaced and cleaned up, and valve job done. But....it all came back to me disassembled. I've looked at the honda manual and it's pretty vague. I've mounted the head on the block, but I'm in over my head with the cam shaft. Everything was at TDC when removed, so I'm just basically re-assembling in reverse order. The difference is the cam was mounted before and now it's not.
The head is bone dry, I just want to make sure I do this right. Does anyone have a guide or walk through for this?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

All the valves should be closed with the camshaft out. Were they all closed before you installed the cylinder head?

If the valves are closed, then the crank should first be set to top dead center. Then you can put the cam sprocket on, so you can install the cam pretty close to TDC as well.

I am not sure what the best way is to lubricate the dry parts while installing. You may want to call the machine shop an ask their advice on how to properly lubricate it when assembling.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:13 PM

Yes, all closed. A guy I work with said the same you have. Everything was at TDC before disassembled and should still be. The machine shop did a valve service (checked for damage, adjustment and replaced stem seals) when they pressure tested and resurfaced. They also made it sound like "just line everything and torque it down". So I'm hoping that's right.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Torquing bolts on camshaft assy has a specific sequence to avoid excess bending of camshaft. There is a download manual available (Online Manuals post in DIY) for your model, but requires burning a CD as an intermediate step to access the manual.

Same info should be available in a Haynes manual.

good luck

Old 10-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Eric the Car Guy has a nice youtube video that includes R&R'ing the rocker assembly: wYU8qtPzQOY.

You just have to take it slow. While you're tightening the bolts valves will be opening. It's a good time to check the valve adjustment.

Edit: I overlooked that the shop did a valve job...the valves have to be adjusted.

Last edited by Roader; 10-24-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Torquing bolts on camshaft assy has a specific sequence to avoid excess bending of camshaft. There is a download manual available (Online Manuals post in DIY) for your model, but requires burning a CD as an intermediate step to access the manual.

Same info should be available in a Haynes manual.

good luck
I downloaded the manual a month ago and have been using it thus far. It's detailed in take down (which I didn't do) but not so much on replacement of the cam. At least from what I've found. I did find the bolt torque order.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Roader
Eric the Car Guy has a nice youtube video that includes R&R'ing the rocker assembly: wYU8qtPzQOY.

You just have to take it slow. While you're tightening the bolts valves will be opening. It's a good time to check the valve adjustment.

Edit: I overlooked that the shop did a valve job...the valves have to be adjusted.
I'll look for the video.

Your edit, I'm not understanding. The valves now have to be adjusted? If that's the case I'm depressed! LOL. I have no cash for any more special tools.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the shop did a valve job then valves have to be adjusted. The valve seats and valve faces were ground which will put the valves closer to the rocker arms. Left unadjusted the valves will likely be too tight and could burn. No special tools needed. Just a feeler gauge, $4 at Harbor Freight. Eric the Car Guy has another fine video on adjusting valves: P7wI4EtZSaA

Old 10-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Roader
If the shop did a valve job then valves have to be adjusted. The valve seats and valve faces were ground which will put the valves closer to the rocker arms. Left unadjusted the valves will likely be too tight and could burn. No special tools needed. Just a feeler gauge, $4 at Harbor Freight. Eric the Car Guy has another fine video on adjusting valves: P7wI4EtZSaA
Gotcha, thanks.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

The camshaft has to be installed in order to adjust the valves. If you're installing the camshaft now, well... that's why the shop couldn't do it for you.

I'd smear some grease in the camshaft bearing journals. Better yet, some engine-assembly grease. Even a liberal pour of engine oil into those things before assembling would be good.

Quick Reply: 99 Accord F23A5 SOHC non-vtec cam install