Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

whats ur opinion on these subwoofers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Default RE: whats ur opinion on these subwoofers?

about my rear view mirror...
if i use the plastic dip, will i be able to adjust the mirror??
and the other day, the rear view mirror fell into my lap...i had to clip it back onto the part of the rear view mirror that was still on my windshield...

is their any other way, b/c i dont really feel comfortable popping off my rear view mirror...

Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm gonna go ahead and say this: the majority of 15's out there are slow and sloppy. And the majority are not set up properly i.e. underpowered, bad quality, box type. I would rather have 2 10's or 2 12's because I like my bass tight and supported, not deafening. The larger the cone SA the more probability you have that the cone is going to flex and contort out of shape, causing distortion to the sound waves. That's not to say that there aren't good sounding 15's out there, it's more about personal preference and doing it the right and wrong way, plus the never ending debate of SQL vs. SPL.

pham9006, you could try injecting the adhesive without taking the mirror off or be like me and just keep readjusting it.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: finch13

I'm gonna go ahead and say this: the majority of 15's out there are slow and sloppy. And the majority are not set up properly i.e. underpowered, bad quality, box type. I would rather have 2 10's or 2 12's because I like my bass tight and supported, not deafening. The larger the cone SA the more probability you have that the cone is going to flex and contort out of shape, causing distortion to the sound waves. That's not to say that there aren't good sounding 15's out there, it's more about personal preference and doing it the right and wrong way, plus the never ending debate of SQL vs. SPL.

pham9006, you could try injecting the adhesive without taking the mirror off or be like me and just keep readjusting it.
Wow, just Wow. You really have been misinformed about larger speakers and cone rigidity.Maybe the majority of 15's you heard were slow and sloppy and that's due to the box or the installation also back in the days 15's weren't made like they are now, weaker cones and less motor strength.

I'll say this again, size of the woofer has absolutely nothing and i repeat nothing to so with how fast a sub plays. If you want you can PM me and i can explain it to you better.A larger cone doesnt mean it will distort or contort out of shape. I can let you hear my friends 18 inch woofer, i will put that againt any 10 or 12 that i've heard in terms of fast bass response.

The largest limiter of response and consequently that which most impacts transient performance, is INDUCTANCE, NOT woofer diameter or mass. That is a common myth, and many people don't understand what's going on, and end up confirming the myth by listening without thinking much.

Subwoofer response is nearly always limited by the crossover, so the high frequency performance is usually not very critical, unless you are trying to cross a woofer with a high inductance over at a higher frequency or with a very shallow slope.

However, you are mistaken if you think diameter directly relates to accuracy in any way, shape, or form.

There are 6s that can't play over 200hz or so without rolling off, and there are 18s (Aura 1808 for example) that can play upto 1.5Khz cleanly.

Diameter has NOTHING to do with accuracy. If anything, it would actually mean the OPPOSITE of what you're thinking, because a larger diameter driver has more displacement for any given motor/coil combination, and as such, will produce any SPL level with LESS distortion than the smaller diameter driver.

OP, No Disrespect and sorry, not trying to thread jack, just trying to help disprove some of the myths out there. Just sharing what i've read and learned about subwoofer sizes.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 AM

So what 15"s do you have? And what is this 18" that produces good SQ? The only 18" I have heard is a SoloX which is horrible for SQ and as a sub. Dude maybe if you have so much power and super driver could you get good SQ from a large sub. I've never heard it, and I've heard a lot of systems. All I know is from the research I have done. I have seen the response graphs and a 15" Kicker L7 or even a CVX can't match the SQ of a JL W7 10". I don't mean any disrespect, I have done my own research, and have done my own hearing. You may have read a misinformed article or I myself may have seen inaccurate response graphs of different subs. I'm not going to post here again as it doesn't seem you care about anything, but being right. Take it easy![sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Wass uP every one, First off let me say I'm sorry to hear that happen to you, same thing happened to me broke my window stole my head unit ( a piece of **** panasonic, Gucci sunglasses, and my medical marijuana) funny thing is we had two girls with us there purse's were in the truck, if they just poped the truck open they would have got those as well DUMB *** LOWLIFES, anywayz after that i got my head unit Straped with steel brackets front the back so it would take 3 hours for some to try pull my head unit out, AS well as a CLIFFORD top of the line alarm system so that never happenes again. Back to the Subs, all i can say is i been threw 5 system's,,, finally i learned and I'm saving up for this>>>>> JL audio W7 13 in the jl top of the line ported box PRICE: $950.00 then the jl audio AMP to power it PRICE:$900-950 Check it out at Cruchfeild.com , then for the inside speakers FOCAL's all around Focal amp to power them,Hope this helps thats all i can say FOX

Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

So what 15"s do you have? And what is this 18" that produces good SQ? The only 18" I have heard is a SoloX which is horrible for SQ and as a sub. Dude maybe if you have so much power and super driver could you get good SQ from a large sub. I've never heard it, and I've heard a lot of systems. All I know is from the research I have done. I have seen the response graphs and a 15" Kicker L7 or even a CVX can't match the SQ of a JL W7 10". I don't mean any disrespect, I have done my own research, and have done my own hearing. You may have read a misinformed article or I myself may have seen inaccurate response graphs of different subs. I'm not going to post here again as it doesn't seem you care about anything, but being right. Take it easy![sm=americanasmiley.gif]
i have Stereo Integrity Mag 15 inch woofers running them with a kicker zx1500.1 in a sealed box. The 18's i've heard were called RE xxx 18 inch woofer. Sounded clean and tight. I'm not trying to argue or be right, just giving out right information. Its unfortunate two guys can't have a conversation about a topic without someone acting like one is just trying to be right. I have given information to prove my facts. Unfortunately you just don't get what i'm saying. All i'm saying is that frequency response is not a physical function but a mechanical one, has nothing to do with cone size but with motor force and inductance. I'm done with this topic unless anyone wants to pm me than we can discuss this in more detail. Not trying to be a know it all, just trying to help others understand.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 AM

TM: You are arguing as pointed out.

You both have good points and are both right on a lot of issues. The fact that you take different perspectives is why you don't agree, but minus a few minor misconceptions, you are more or less saying the same thing.

There are different advantages and disadvantages to speaker sizes. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the efficiency of the speakers. Larger speakers tend to use more power to make the same volume tone. On the other hand, larger speakers tend to have a higher capacity at low frequencies. Personally, I don't like to work my alternator so hard and don't want to upgrade it to high output, so I look for efficiency in the drivers.

A good example of sound quality and tone from various size speakers is the fact that Bose makes their premier sound system with tiny little speakers, 2.5" I think, but they also make a 24" sub. If they didn't have a reason to make both, they wouldn't.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM

^^^^^actually you are incorrect. Efficiency has nothing to do with driver size.There are 10's and 12's that are more efficient than 15's vice versa.Efficiently also has nothing to do with the size of the amp you need for that woofer. Some woofers are designed with more efficiency than other. Two 10 inch woofers rated at say 200 rms each will both require a 200 watt amp to run them, one 10 may get louder than the other if its more efficient but it doesn't need a bigger amp. Also upgrading your altenator has nothing to do with subwoofer size but with the size of the amp. There are many 15's out there that only need 200 watts and some that need 2000 watts. I have a stock alt in my 92 accord and i'm running over 1800 rms total.

I fail to see where i'm arguing. I don't think i'm coming off as being rude or arrogant, i'm just trying to help others understand how subwoofer size doesn't effect its speed. I thought this was a forum where guys and girls can discuss and share their knowledge and experiences without it being called an arguement. Anyways i'm done, if anyone learned from what i've posted, i'm glad. Bye

Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 AM

I would not question an engineer.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 PM

Hey man its cool. Your just the first person to ever tell me that a 15" is just as good SQ sub as a 10". There damn may well be a phenomenal SQ 15" sub. I've never heard one or even heard of one. I think you may be very satisfied from the SQ you get from a 15" but I don't see how it could be better then a 10". While it may produce more DBs the SQ can't be the same. But we all have our own opinions and your more then free to express them, as am I. The reason your getting a little resistance is mostly because your attitude. When on the internet your wording depicts your emotions and obviously not how you say them. And when you start off saying how wrong we are does depict an argument and not a conversation. Did any of us at one point say the phrase "you are incorrect", no, because we are JUST having a discussion and not trying to point out who's wrong.

Also what size box are you running for two 15"s in a 92 accord? I could barley squeeze 8ft^3 in my suburban and still see out the back.

Quick Reply: whats ur opinion on these subwoofers?