Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where can i run the wires for sub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:40 AM
noboundaries628
Unregistered
Default Where can i run the wires for sub?

hey all, where do I run the wires for the amp to battery and head unit? and how can I do it. Just bought some JL Audio W1-12inch (2 of em) pics would be appreciated

Old 11-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Where can i run the wires for sub?

To get the battery cable into the car, from the engine compartment. There is a rubber gasket on the driver side on the firewall. Either cut a hole in it, or pop the edge of the gasket out of the hole to pass the cable through. Then pas the cable through the lower trim pieces on the left side under the steering wheel. Then pop up the plastic trim pieces on the floor that are on the floor right up against the door, pop the ones in the front and the back up, and pass the cable under there, and put the trim back on. Then from there some how get it into the truck, it depends on the car. I have never done it on a 95. Its really a simple job, you should be able to read this then figure it out on your own.

EDIT: Oh and for the RCA and remote on wire, you take it from behind the dash to the left side. And have it go the same way on the left side, there should be more then enough room.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:33 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

You should have your power and RCA cables on opposite sides of the car so they dont interfere audio wise.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:47 AM

Really? I have never noticed a problem with that. RCAs are shielded, but not heavily. Only RCAs I have had run with my power cables have been for bass, so maybe you can't hear the interference with bass.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:04 AM

yea, you can go inside, probably the best idea, or you can do what i did, and go under your car, i went down some box frame, lol but on a sedan probably best bet is to go inside like t00 said.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:06 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

Really? I have never noticed a problem with that. RCAs are shielded, but not heavily. Only RCAs I have had run with my power cables have been for bass, so maybe you can't hear the interference with bass.
Yup! I went to Best Buy one time, and had my power wires and RCA'S next to each other and he strongly disagreed, along with another guy there and some other people I know. I guess it depends on what your components are and if you can really tell what good audio is. But if it sounds fine then why go through the hassle of changing it?!

Old 11-23-2006, 01:19 PM

I have 2 sets of Stinger RCA's running along with my power wire the RCA's are for the subs and the in cab speakers and there is no problem with the signal. I think i paid 25 bucks for a 12 feet of 4's and 12 feet of 2's off ebay. About the only thing i can say that would change whats said is the fact that the power wire is a recharge for the battery in the trunk.

But its better having the power wire run inside the car because running it under the car youre playing with nature a lot more and the power wire will eventually start to break and..... well..... exposed wire on a steel...... yeeeeeah..... no fun there

Old 11-23-2006, 02:08 PM

yeah run it under the carpet on the side of the car next to the door sill and then under the back seat to the side of the trunk that you want to mount everything on. I second marbro on the wires outside = bad idea

Old 11-24-2006, 01:12 AM

Just make sure you run a fuse off of battery. I try and run it withen 6" of battery. That fuse is for incase something shorts between battery and amp the fuse goes and doesnt catche anything on fire.

Had kid that was going to be in my shop (luckly he went to another) tell me that he caught his neon on fire. Why? Dumbbutt didnt run wire thru firewall but ran it between fender and door jam and then in car. Plus he didnt put fuse off of battery. Well opeing and closeing door nicked insulation and it shorted out. Since he didnt fuse it at bateery the wire heated up and caught car on fire.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:24 AM

haha, yea that sucks wouldent want any fire. and im not really worried about mine breaking, cuz i dont plan on havin the car much longer its a 1996 with 129K on it..

Quick Reply: Where can i run the wires for sub?