Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where can i run the wires for sub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:00 PM
tony@sickaudio
Unregistered
Default RE: Where can i run the wires for sub?

running it through fire wall and lifting trim on drivers side is best way to run it i ran 2 runs of 0 gauge and 2 runs of 4 gauge ground in my 1997 honda accord for my hifonics goliath and 1 DD 9917b

Old 11-25-2006, 02:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Why run a 4ga ground? If you have a nice ground from battery to the body, and a nice ground from amp to body that should be better then even a 0ga wire. I know resistance isn't the reason you would do that. Is it interference or something?

Old 11-25-2006, 05:39 AM
tony@sickaudio
Unregistered

i ran it off of frame where engine is grounded i also grounded engine with a piece of 0gauge wire they say it improves performance by putting a bigger ground

Old 11-25-2006, 08:46 PM

your car performance won't improve from a ground wire alone generally speaking... (there are extremes to this situation which prove this wrong...) However, running a bigger wire for engine ground, battery ground, and power wire from the alternator to the battery (The Big 3 I believe it was called by Tony1M if my memory serves) is supposed to help the charging system and prevent the "engine whine" that you will pick up from poor grounds

Old 11-25-2006, 11:30 PM

But why run a ground wire for the amp? I would think there is less resistance along the body since there is much more metal, then a 4ga wire. The big 3 has nothing to do with running a ground to the amp.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:30 AM

i posted about the big 3 once, good upgrade.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 AM
2007accord
Unregistered
Default RE: How do you run the power wire correctly?

New to the site with a new 07 Accord LXand waswonderinghow to properly run/connectthe power wire.Its weird cuz my rockford fosgate amp's powerred LED lightremains on even after I turn off the engine. It should be turning off with the engine right. It turns off when we disconnect the powerwire from the amp.It seems to be getting power from somewhere even when the engine is off. My rooommate hooked the powerwire up rigged through to the radio fuse. Ground is ran all the way to battery and everything else is standard wiring. Do you know why the power LED remains on and whats the right way of running the power wire?

Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 AM

ive jsut thought about it isnt there a backup power soruce to the radio to keep the memory? maybe he hooked it up to that? so it doesnt turn of when the car does. im pretty sure someones said this to you but wire it on something that turns off when the car does like the cigarette lighter

Old 02-15-2007, 01:00 PM

Could be, only thing to do is to bring out the multi meter and see if that line is always hot, and from the sound of it, it is. BTW he made a thread for his question, I think he just posted here hoping to get an answer without having to make a new thread.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 PM

You can wrap your RCA's around a power wire and it wont induce noise. What induces noise is shielded cables. The shielding can actually act as an antena and pick up noise that an unshielded cable wouldnt.

As for running grounds from the amp all the way back to the battery, this is a bad idea. Way too much resistance. The best grounds are the shortest. As was mentioned, everything in the car is grounded to the chassis which is grounded back to the battery and the current will have a whole lot less resistance travelling along the frame than back up 20' of 4 guage wire. Taking this ground wire out and shortening it to less than 1-2 feet will add at least 1 volt of power to your amps which can amount to 3 db or more of volume.

Also, make sure youre using the same gauge ground wire as you do power wire.

Its also a very bad idea to run power wire under the car, especially one as low to the ground as the Accord. Thats a whole lot of grime, moisture, mud and all kinds of nasty stuff that can eventually eat away at the insulation of the wire. You could walk out of the mall and find a pile of ashes where your car was parked.